Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad has all of the yummy ingredients of Waldorf Chicken Salad, but with pasta! It’s also lightened up with Greek yogurt and honey instead of a ton of mayonnaise and sugar.
Now that it’s past Memorial Day, I’d say it’s officially pasta salad season, right?! The season where outdoor dining is the norm, you fire up your grill more than your oven, and pasta salads just ALWAYS seem like the perfect side dish.
I’m not sure I’ve ever even had a classic Waldorf Chicken Salad, which is a combination of chicken, grapes, celery, apples, and walnuts in a mayo-based dressing. Sounds delicious, right?
I thought this sounded like the perfect base for a pasta salad, so I just went with. I lightened up the dressing by mostly using plain Greek yogurt, with a little bit of olive oil mayo to keep it super creamy. I also took out all of the white sugar and just used 3 tablespoons of honey and it was still plenty sweet. The rest of the dressing is made of some lemon juice, dijon, and chives, and it just fits perfectly with the rest of the ingredients.
We brought this on a fun little picnic we had yesterday and I have to say it was perfect picnic food. Along with some watermelon and half of a sandwich, our lunch was amazing!
This Waldorf Chicken Salad is one of those pasta salads that is bound to be a crowd pleaser. It’s creamy but light, and full of different textures and flavors. It will definitely be a go-to for me this summer!
Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad
- 10 ounces bowtie pasta cooked according to the package
- 1 apple diced into bite-sized pieces (I used pink lady but you can really use any kind you like!)
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 cup halved grapes
- 2 cups chicken breasts diced
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- chives for garnish
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- Prep all of your pasta salad ingredients by cooking the pasta, chopping the apple, celery, grapes, chicken, walnuts, and chives.
- Combine all pasta salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour over pasta salad mixture and stir well to combine.
- Garnish with more chopped chives.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!