Truffle Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Kale is a creamy but healthy cauliflower soup with truffle oil, topped with sautéed crispy kale…perfect for grilled cheese dunking!Remember those dreamy Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwiches I shared with you on Monday? You didn’t think I ate them without dipping them in soup, did you?! I don’t know about you, but I MUST have soup to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches in and this cauliflower soup was just perfect. It just doesn’t feel right any other way.
I didn’t think tomato soup (my typical go-to grilled cheese dipping soup) would go well with the caramelized onion and Gruyere combo I had going on, so I turned to something a bit more mellow – cauliflower soup. I wanted something silky smooth to dip my melty cheesy sandwich in.
Jazz it Up with Truffle Oil
While I had originally planned to just make plain ‘ol cauliflower soup, but then remembered a bottle of truffle oil I had sitting in my cupboard and as a result came this Truffle Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Kale. I added it to the soup at the end and can I just ask why we don’t put truffle oil on all the things?! It makes everything it touches turn to gold, I’m pretty sure.
It definitely took this soup up a notch. Along with a slight kick from the cayenne pepper (if you don’t want it spicy at all you can omit!), this soup was anything but boring. AAAAAND since I love garnishes on my creamy soups, I also went ahead and fried up some crispy kale to put on top.
Easy Truffle Cauliflower Soup
The other great thing about this truffle cauliflower soup with crispy kale? It couldn’t be easier to make. Sautee up some veggies, add the broth, and simmer it until nice and soft. (p.s. this is the time that you can make the crispy kale!) Then when the veggies are cooked, all you have to do is puree it with an immersion blender and stir in that truffle oil and some half-and-half for extra cream-factor. Soup. Is. Served!
Like this recipe? Check these out too:
Truffle Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 28 oz box of vegetable broth
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil
- For the crispy kale:
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leaf of kale leaves removed from stem and finely chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots, and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir to combine with the vegetables, and cook another minute.
- Add cauliflower, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
- Once cauliflower is tender, use an immersion blender to puree the vegetable mixture. You can also use a high speed blender for this.
- Once well pureed, add half and half and truffle oil, stirring well to combine.
- To make the crispy kale:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the kale, cooking until bright green and crispy, about 5 minutes. Add additional tablespoon of olive oil if you feel the kale needs more oil to fry in.
- Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with crispy kale.