A restaurant-quality shrimp lettuce wraps recipe that takes 15 minutes to make! They are great as a light lunch or dinner, or as a party appetizer!
Between the winter dreariness and being pregnant, I’m craving lots of beige/brown food. Like potatoes, creamy pastas, creamy soups, basically all the carbs and cream. BUT! For the sake of my health, the growing babe in my belly, and my general outlook, I’m trying to pack as much color into my diet as possible.
When eating healthy/vibrantly is as delicious as these Thai Chili Shrimp Lettuce Wraps, it’s not difficult! You guys, these lettuce wraps are SO delicious and insanely easy. I made these, while making my kids their lunch (sorry kids – no lettuce wraps for you!), in 30 minutes TOPS. I know, confidently, they can be made in 20 minutes if you’re not prepping another entire meal at the same time.
How to Make Thai Chili Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
The thing that I love about shrimp is how quickly it cooks. Like, this shrimp will be done in 4 minutes! You simply toss the shrimp in a combination of soy sauce, olive oil, sweet Thai chili sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic and cook them in a hot skillet for a couple of minutes on each side.
Either before or after the shrimp is cooking, prep the rest of the ingredients. You’ll get the lettuce leaves ready for filling, shred a couple of carrots, chop up some cilantro and green onions, and make the Thai chili mayonnaise. Easy!
Lastly, you assemble it all by putting a few shrimp in each lettuce wrap, top them with shredded carrots, cilantro, green onions, and that delicious Thai chili mayonnaise. Then DEVOUR!
I made these Thai lettuce wraps for Marc and I for lunch one day and we had no trouble devouring them all. I recognize, however, we have pretty large appetites. So these would be great for 4 people if you have a side dish like some coconut rice or roasted veggies. Or just double the recipe and feast only on shrimp lettuce wraps!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps from Pinch of Yum
Thai Chili Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb shrimp, tail-off, deveined, and peeled
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the Sweet Thai Chili Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1-3 tsp Sriracha (more or less, depending on spice tolerance)
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 head Boston/bibb lettuce, leaves removed and rinsed
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped, for topping
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, for topping
Cook the shrimp:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, olive oil, sweet Thai chili sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic.
- Add the shrimp to a large bowl and then toss with the soy/Thai chili marinade.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and all of the marinade to the skillet and cook until shrimp is no longer translucent, and are all curled up, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Make Thai Chili mayonnaise
- Make the Thai Chili mayonnaise by combining all sauce ingredients in a small/medium bowl and whisking well.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps by placing 3-5 shrimp in each lettuce leaf, top with shredded carrots, cilantro, green onions, and drizzle with Thai chili mayonnaise.
- Serve and enjoy!