Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a super easy recipe that is all about the toppings! The crispy homemade tortilla strips on top absolutely make this perfect weeknight crock pot tortilla soup!
I have been all about the comforting, healthy, and easy meals, like this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. In the middle of winter, I just need warm comfort food like this. Couldn’t we all use a big bowl of this crock pot tortilla soup?!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is everything I love about soups – warm, filling, and lots of toppings! I mean, what’s soup without the toppings?
I can’t have chili without cheese, sour cream, green onions, and crushed saltines.
I can’t have french onion soup without croutons and Swiss cheese.
I can’t have potato soup without bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Toppings
And I certainly can’t have crock pot tortilla soup without crispy, homemade tortilla strips along with shredded cheese, cilantro, and green onions! I could’ve gone even further and added sour cream and avocado but I wanted you to actually be able to see the soup underneath all the toppings.
That’s not to say the slow cooker chicken tortilla soup itself isn’t delicious – because it is! This chicken tortilla soup in the crock pot has a broth-base with tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, corn, spices, and shredded chicken. It is full of flavor and as much spice as you want. Me? I’m a wimp, so our version was Minnesota nice.
So whether you’re looking for a healthy easy dinner, needing a comforting soup to get you over a winter cold, or need some sustenance to get you through the last few episodes of Making a Murderer, this soup has got you covered! Just don’t forget those toppings.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 green bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans
- 14 oz corn kernels I used frozen but you can use canned too
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper depending on how spicy you like it!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Additional toppings:
- shredded cheese
- chopped green onions
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- For the crispy tortilla strips:
- 6-8 corn tortillas cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- To make the soup:
- Place onion and bell peppers on bottom of large slow cooker.
- Place chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, garlic, spices and salt on top of peppers and onions.
- Top with chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, remove chicken and shred, then return it to the soup, stirring to combine.
- Serve topped with suggested toppings.
- To make the tortilla strips (you can do this while the soup is still in the slow cooker, before you are ready to eat):
- In large bowl, combine tortilla strips with olive oil and garlic salt and stir well to thoroughly cover with the oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the tortilla strips in batches, covering the skillet with one layer of strips at a time.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortilla strips until they are all crispy.