Slow Cooker Caribbean Chicken is an easy weeknight meal that is also great for a crowd. Barbecue chicken is spiced with Caribbean spices including all spice, molasses, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, and orange. Topped with a tropical pineapple coleslaw and you’ll be taken straight to the beach!
One of the few meats that my four-year old will eat is grilled BBQ chicken legs. He’s generally open to trying new foods, but meat has been tricky for him. Since we don’t grill much (or at all!) during the cold Minnesota winters, I wanted to try BBQ chicken in the slow cooker with a Caribbean twist to see if he would bite. Literally.
Cooking chicken breasts in the slow cooker has consistently resulted in tender and juicy meat, which gave me hope that he wouldn’t balk at tough meat. Plus, he loves BBQ sauce! And perhaps the addition of it sandwiched between a bun would make it more appealing. Fingers crossed.
I have to be honest here – this Caribbean chicken did not win my kids heart like a good ‘ol BBQ chicken leg, but it DID win my husband, two-year old, and I over! Not only are these Caribbean BBQ chicken sliders SO easy to make, they are absolutely delicious.
How to Make Slow Cooker Caribbean BBQ Chicken
This recipe for Slow Cooker Caribbean BBQ Chicken Sliders is so great for a busy weeknight. The BBQ chicken is a breeze to put together in the morning. You start by slicing up a red onion for the bottom of the slow cooker. Pro tip: I like to slice up my onions the night before and store in a tupperware, so I don’t have to touch and smell like onions in the morning.
After that, all that is left is to top it with chicken breasts and Caribbean spiced BBQ Sauce. This Caribbean BBQ sauce has hints of ginger, allspice, coriander, oranges and molasses – all flavors that will take you straight to the Caribbean!
The last step in these BBQ Chicken Sliders is making the pineapple coleslaw. I always love a good coleslaw on my BBQ Chicken Sliders, and the addition of pineapple is simply delicious with the hints of Caribbean flavors in the chicken.
In addition to being great for a weeknight dinner, this recipe would be great for a gathering because it is easy to prep everything in advance, and easy for people to serve themselves.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches from The Recipe Rebel
Slow Cooker Caribbean Chicken with Pineapple ColeslawPrint Pin Rate
- Slow Cooker
For the Caribbean Chicken:
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp coriander
For the Pineapple Coleslaw:
- 14 ounces coleslaw mix
- 1 jalapeno, stem, seeds, and white parts removed, and diced
- 1 cup canned diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice (from the can of pineapple)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Add the sliced onion to the bottom of the slow cooker and top with chicken breasts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce, molasses, orange juice, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and coriander. Pour mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, shred with two forks.
To Make the Pineapple Coleslaw:
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, jalapeno, diced pineapple, and green onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, pineapple juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the coleslaw mixture and stir until well combined.
- Serve chicken on buns or on top of greens, topped with pineapple coleslaw.