Happy Thursday, friends! We’re sooooo close to the weekend, I can almost taste it….can you?? I am flying to Kansas City this weekend with my mom and Lars to visit my aunt Penny and her family. I’m super excited to see them all, to enjoy some beautiful weather and outdoor time with Lars, and do what we do best together – eat! Oh and of course, celebrate Mother’s Day!
You did remember this weekend is Mother’s Day, right?! If you completely spaced it, don’t worry – there’s still time to get a card and make your mom dessert. Okay, there’s also definitely time to get her a present but I’m pretty sure she’d be happy if you just made her this Skillet Almond Strawberry Crisp. What mom wouldn’t be happy with that?!
I really wanted to make a fruit crisp the other day and the only fruit we had in the fridge was strawberries. While I’ve made more strawberry rhubarb crisps than I can count, I don’t think I’ve ever made a straight up strawberry crisp. I decided it was time to let it shine in this Skillet Almond Strawberry Crisp!
One of my favorite crisp tricks is to add some sort of nut to the crisp topping. It gives the crisp an extra bit of crunch and a hint of flavor which I love. Since I was adding almonds to this strawberry crisp, I also put a splash of almond extract in the strawberry mixture. I’m a HUGE fan of anything almond flavored (our wedding cake was almond flavored!) so I really enjoyed this hint of almond.
If you’re not a fan of almond extract or don’t have any in your cupboard, you can definitely substitute vanilla extract!
We ate our strawberry crisp like all crisp should be eaten – with ice cream on top. Marc mentioned he thought the ice cream really balanced out the crisp and I definitely agree. The sweet creamy vanilla ice cream combined with the strawberries, buttery crisp topping, and crunchy almonds was just perfect. This will definitely be our go-to crisp recipe this summer!
Skillet Almond Strawberry CrispPrint Rate
- 2 pints strawberries stems removed and diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the crisp:
- 10 tablespoons cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together strawberries, sugar, flour, and almond extract.
- Spread evenly in a 9" skillet or 8x8" baking dish.
- Make the crisp topping by combining butter, flour, and oats, and working together with your fingers or a fork until crumbs form.
- Add brown sugar and work together until fully combined.
- Stir in almonds.
- Evenly distribute topping on top of strawberry mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Serve hot with ice cream.