Move over Tollhouse, these Sea Salt Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are not your mama’s cookie recipe!
Holy mother of cookies. I just died and went to cookie heaven. Well, I might just be in a sugar coma because I ate FOUR of these straight from the oven (with a glass of cold milk…ahhhh so good) but I’m pretty sure this is also what cookie heaven feels and looks like.
I know that I have a handful of chocolate chip recipes on here, (like these, these, these, these, oh and THESE) and two of them even have brown butter. But! I do not, ladies and gentlemen, have one with sea salt on it. Nor do I have a recipe for a chocolate chip cookie that has a crispy edge with a slightly chewy center. I have one with chewy edges. I have one that is soft. I have mini CCC’s. These are none of those. These Sea Salt Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are one of a kind, I tell ya.
Another difference of these cookies is that instead of using chocolate chips, I bought a large chocolate bar and cut it into chunks. Not only was this a great tricep workout, I love how there are tiny specks of chocolate throughout the cookies along with big chunks. You can use chips if you have to, but if you are able to snag a good quality bar of semi-sweet or dark chocolate, DO IT. Please.
These are so good that Marc called them the best chocolate chip cookies he’s ever had. I’ve been trying to live up to his mom’s chocolate chip cookies for YEARS so for him to say this is pretty much as monumental as the first time he told me he loved me. I’m pretty sure I got a little choked up even.
Okay, maybe not but since Marc has definitely been around the block a few times with chocolate chip cookies, I’d like to think he knows what he’s talking about and he gives these cookies his highest rating. As for me? I can’t pick a favorite – I love all of my chocolate chip cookie recipes! I can say, however, that I can’t wait to make them again! Is this weekend too soon?
Sea Salt Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups dark or semisweet chocolate chunks
- sea salt for topping
- Place butter in a medium saucepan (I think a light colored pan like All-Clad works best so you can see the color of the butter changing) over medium-low heat.
- Melt the butter and cook, swirling occasionally, as it progresses from lemony-yellow color to golden, then to amber. Once it is amber and you see little flecks of brown on the bottom of the pan, immediately remove it from the heat. Let it cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled:
- In large bowl with electric mixer, combine butter with brown sugar and granulated sugar, and beat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk, and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda, beating until incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough into 1" balls (approximately 1.5-2 tablespoons) and place 2" apart. The dough will spread.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11-13 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
- Very important: eat at least two immediately with a glass of cold milk.
- Hide the rest from everyone else in your household in an airtight container. Okay, maybe share a couple.