It’s only Tuesday but it has already been a big week for us. On Sunday night Lars slept in his big boy bed for the very first time ever.
We have been debating when to do the switch from his crib to the bed for quite some time. We’ve had his big boy bed set up in his room for months now, just waiting for the perfect time to make the switch. The thing is, Lars was doing pretty fantastic in his crib. He never crawled out and he was sleeping great at night and for naps. Why oh why would we mess up a good thing?
Well, the biggest factor was this little baby who will be making his arrival in just a few short weeks. Eventually he’s going to need the crib Lars was occupying. Marc works a lot of evenings, and I really didn’t want to have to do the transition on my own with a newborn. So we decided to make the switch while we could, even if it was a little earlier than we would have liked.
The good news? It is going GREAT so far. But can we all just find some wood to knock on right now? Seriously, I’ll wait. Kthanks.
But really, the first night was such a breeze that Marc and I kept looking at each other, and back at the monitor where there was no activity whatsoever happening, like, really? That was it?
I’m sure not every night will be easy, but the relief of it not being a complete disaster is immense. Like I was imagining
Anyways. Enough about toddler sleep. Onto this soup!
I seriously cannot get enough of the soup recipes this fall. It’s funny how I can go months without thinking about soup but now that it’s feeling like fall it’s all I want to make.
I was really craving a hearty but healthy soup, which is what landed me on this sausage and lentil soup. I actually used chicken Italian sausage from Whole Foods, which I really loved. A lot of times turkey or chicken sausage just isn’t satisfying to me, but that was definitely not the case with the 365 brand of chicken sausage. You can definitely use regular Italian pork sausage too!
This rustic soup was exactly what I was craving. It’s full of veggies like carrots and kale and gets a bunch of flavor from fresh herbs like basil and parsley and dried Italian seasoning and paprika. Of course, if you need to use all dried herbs, go right ahead! The general rule of thumb is for every tablespoon of fresh herbs a recipe calls for, use a teaspoon of dried.
This Sausage and Lentil Soup is hearty, full of flavor, and served with some Italian bread, it was such a yummy meal! I really hope you give this recipe a try – you will love it too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped kale
- additional chopped parsley for topping
- In a large soup pot (I used my Le Creuset dutch oven), heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once cooked, add onion and carrots, and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, lentils, chicken broth, water, apple cider vinegar basil, parsley, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt, and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Add kale and stir well to combine, cooking another 1-2 minutes to let kale soften.
- Ladle into bowls and serve topped with additional parsley.