Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Soup is a light and healthy soup filled with flavor and will fill you up!
Soup might not be a typical summer dish, but I love making soup all year round. I enjoy making a big batch at the beginning of the week to reheat for lunches or an easy dinner throughout the week. It’s just nice having something on hand for a quick meal!
This Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Soup was a bit of a random recipe that I threw together, but I loved it so much I knew I had to share the recipe with you! There is so much flavor from the roasted red peppers and just a couple of spices, and even my kids loved it.
Ingredients in Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Soup
This recipe starts with onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, and diced tomatoes. I used jarred roasted red peppers for simplicity and ease, but you can definitely roast your own!
The rest of the recipe includes cumin, cardamom, green lentils, garbanzo beans, vegetable broth, baby spinach, and coconut milk, making this soup dairy free and vegan!
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Soup
To start, you’ll saute the vegetables in some olive oil to soften them and also enhance their flavor. Once the vegetables are sauteed, you add vegetable broth and then puree to create a thick and flavorful broth for the rest of the soup.
After the soup is pureed, the green lentils are added. You can use red lentils if you want, you’ll just need to cut the cooking time way back, as red lentils cook faster than green lentils. The green lentils are simmered in the broth for about 25 minutes until they’re softened but still hold their shape.
To finish, the soup gets coconut milk, garbanzo beans, and baby spinach and is simmered until the spinach is wilted.
You can top your soup with plain yogurt and fresh cilantro, and serve with pita bread or pita chips.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces jarred roasted red peppers drained and diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 16 ounce can coconut milk
- 5 ounces baby spinach chopped
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add roasted red peppers, diced tomatoes, cumin, and cardamom, and stir well to combine.
- Stir in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until well blended.
- Add lentils and return to a simmer. Cook until lentils are softened, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, spinach, and garbanzo beans and cook until 5 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Serve topped with plain yogurt and cilantro, along with pita. Enjoy!