Summer meets fall with Roasted Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup!
Marc and I spent the weekend in Iowa visiting my family and I don’t think it could have been more perfect as the first weekend of fall. The weather = perfect. Morning run in crisp fall air = perfect. Apple orchard visit = perfect. Bonfire on a chilly night = perfect. It was quite the weekend and while it was a blast, I. Am. Exhausted.
So when we got home Sunday afternoon, I had no desire to do much cooking but I had a huge craving for soup. I was torn between butternut squash soup and tomato soup and since I had bought a couple of butternuts last week when I first saw them at Trader Joe’s and also had a sack full of some beautiful tomatoes from my CSA that weren’t going to last much longer, I decided to combine the two and make one delicious soup.
This is one of those soups that you put minimal work into and the end product is much tastier than you would expect. I started by roasting the butternut squash and tomatoes along with some onion and carrots that were tossed with olive oil and some herbs, to cook them and also to bring out their flavor. After they were roasted, I simply pureed them in a blender with some vegetable broth and Greek yogurt and voila! Soup.
It turned out incredibly creamy, without the addition of any cream but instead, Greek yogurt. The butternut squash also lends a velvety texture to the soup. I served this soup with the ultimate soup dunker – a grilled cheese sandwich but it could also be served topped with croutons, cheese, or just with a big hunk of fresh bread.
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love these, too:
- 4 cups diced butternut squash about 1 medium butternut squash
- 5 medium tomatoes sliced into chunks
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray
- Toss together the vegetables, olive oil, herbs, and salt.
- Evenly distribute the vegetables among the two baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until soft and tender.
- While vegetables are roasting and there is about 5 minutes left, heat broth on the stovetop.
- To puree with a blender, combine veggies, broth, and Greek yogurt in blender and process until silky and smooth. If your blender doesn't fit all of the veggies and broth, do half at a time, then combine in a large soup pot at the end.
- To puree with an immersion blender, combine veggies, broth, and Greek yogurt in large soup pot and puree until smooth with immersion blender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!