One Skillet Chicken Teriyaki and Rice is an easy and healthy one-skillet meal that takes hardly any prep time at all!
I’ve never loved one-skillet/pan/dish recipes more than I have during our kitchen renovation. A meal that only requires getting ONE dish dirty? Count. Me. In! If it’s healthy and a family-pleaser as well – it’s going on our regular meal rotation.
That’s exactly where this One Skillet Teriyaki Chicken and Rice lands – right there in our go-to dinner list. Not only is it made all in one skillet, but it requires minimal chopping of the chicken breast. I made this dish even easier than you would think by using frozen stir fry vegetables and pre-minced garlic. I hadn’t tried frozen stir fry vegetables until recently and WOW they are life changing! No chopping peppers, onions, carrots, and broccoli – just open up the bag and toss it in.
Ingredients in One Skillet Chicken Teriyaki and Rice
Stir Fry Vegetables
As you can see, the ingredients are very minimal and simple. One note about the teriyaki sauce – I do use the bottled kind in this recipe. Just be sure to do some label reading when you buy yours. I got the 365 Brand from Whole Foods which was organic, and the ingredients were super basic and the sugar was as low as I’ve seen. If you prefer making your own, you can definitely google a homemade teriyaki sauce and be extra like that!
How to Make One Skillet Chicken Teriyaki
You’ll start by browning the chicken. You don’t have to cook the chicken completely because it will be simmered with the rice, but I like a golden brown crust on my chicken, so I brown it first.
Next, you’ll add some garlic and ginger to add a little flavor, and then add the teriyaki sauce, rice, and water. The mixture is covered and simmered for awhile, and then the frozen vegetables are added, and then cooked until all of the water is absorbed. So dang easy!
We like topping ours with a little drizzle of additional teriyaki sauce and some chopped green onions – who needs takeout with this recipe?!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
One Skillet Buffalo Chicken and Rice from A Spicy Perspective
One Skillet Chicken Teriyaki and Rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 20 ounces frozen stir fry vegetables
- Chopped green onions, for topping
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced chicken, and cook until golden brown on each side. The chicken doesn’t have to be completely cooked through, as it will continue cooking with the rice.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and teriyaki sauce, stirring to combine.
- Add the rice and water, and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add the frozen stir-fry vegetables and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Serve topped with diced green onions and drizzled with additional teriyaki sauce, if preferred.