You will literally smell fall baking in your oven when you bake these heavenly Maple Donut Muffins, which are filled with maple syrup and cinnamon, and rolled in cinnamon sugar!
Maple is a very under-appreciated flavors of fall, in my opinion. Everyone goes crazy for pumpkin spice and apple, but what about the warm flavor of maple syrup?! These Maple Donut Muffins embrace the maple flavor and are a fall breakfast muffin that you will make over and over again.
Ingredients in Maple Donut Muffins
These maple muffins start off with butter, sugar, maple syrup, an egg, and vanilla. If you have maple extract, you could definitely use that instead of vanilla extract for an extra boost of maple flavor, if you’d like.
The dry ingredients are all-purpose unbleached flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Lastly, there is milk and sour cream.
How to Make Maple Muffins
This recipe for maple donut muffins starts by beating together room temperature butter and granulated sugar until it’s nice and creamy, about 2 minutes. Next, you’ll slowly add the maple syrup until it’s well combined, followed by the egg and vanilla extract.
The next step is to add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt, followed by half of the flour. After adding half of the flour, you’ll add a combination of milk and sour cream. Finally, the remaining flour is mixed in until just combined.
The batter is divided among ten muffin cups that have been greased with cooking spray and baked in a 375 degree oven for 15-17 minutes. You want the muffins to be a little golden around the edges and no longer sticky on the top.
Lastly, the muffins get brushed with melted butter and then dipped in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. This is the part that makes them feel like you’re eating a sugar covered donut.
Like this recipe? Check these out too!
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract, beating until combined. Scrape down the edges of the bowl as needed.
- Add the baking powder, salt, and baking soda, and mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream until smooth.
- Add one cup of flour, mixing until combined, followed by the sour cream/milk mixture.
- Lastly, add the remaining cup of flour, mixing until just combined.
- Divide the batter between 10 muffin cups, filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges and no longer sticky on the top. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Remove muffins from pan and place on cooling rack.
- Brush each muffin with butter and then dip in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!