Loaded Baked Potato Soup is all of the flavors of a loaded baked potato in one comforting, easy, and delicious soup!
It’s no secret around here that I’m a HUGE fan of soup. Especially this time of year, I seriously cannot get enough of it. Luckily, my kids love soup too, and this Loaded Baked Potato Soup was no exception!
I mean, this soup basically takes all of the amazing things in a loaded baked potato – bacon, potato, green onion, shredded cheese, and sour cream – put into a soup. This Baked Potato Soup is creamy, SO flavorful, and is definitely on our rotation all fall and winter.
Ingredients in Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Half and Half
How to Make Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This potato soup recipe starts by cooking diced bacon until nice and crispy. Next, the onion and garlic are sauteed in the bacon fat, and then shredded potatoes get tossed in and cooked slightly.
To the potatoes, add flour, and mix well, allowing it to slightly cook. The next step is super important, so listen up 🙂 You will very slowly add the milk, half and half, and chicken broth. VERY slowly. I like to slowly add it while constantly stirring it in. This will ensure the soup is super creamy, and worth having a little patience.
After this mixture is simmered until the potatoes are softened, shredded cheese and sour cream is added to the soup, along with the cooked bacon, and it’s ready to go. I told you – it’s easy!
This baked potato soup was a hit with the whole family, and I’m positive it will be with yours, too. We served it with a little side salad and some crusty french bread and it was such a tasty dinner on a chilly fall evening.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 6 slices bacon diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 russet potatoes peeled and shredded, about 4 cups total
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- green onions, diced for garnish
- Add bacon to large pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pot, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add the onion, and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and shredded potatoes, cooking another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour, stirring well to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- SLOWLY add the milk, half and half, and chicken broth. Note: if you don't do this slowly, the soup will not be as thick and creamy, so have patience when doing this step.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are softened.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the soup in a small bowl, and mix with the sour cream. Return mixture to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Stir in 2 cups of the cheese and all but 2 tbsp of the bacon.
- Serve topped with diced green onions, additional cheese, and reserved chopped bacon.