Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake with Lemon Glaze is a perfect elegant dessert!
The flavor combination of lemon and almond is one of my favorites, and I particularly start craving it during the spring months. Obviously lemon baked goods are popular around spring and Easter, and this year I have a new favorite lemon dessert – Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake. The addition of almond extract makes it truly irresistible.
This lemon cake has all of the usual ingredients in a cake – flour, butter, and sugar – but one distinct ingredient that is unique. The star ingredient is ricotta cheese.
If you’ve never added ricotta to a cake, you are definitely missing out! It somehow makes this cake light and not dense but not fluffy. It is amazingly rich and moist, but not heavy. This makes it perfect for a brunch dessert or just a lighter option after dinner.
Of course, another highlight of this cake is the addition of 2 tablespoons of lemon zest, giving the cake its lemon flavor. Lemon zest really deepens the lemon flavor and I love adding it to lemon baked goods to really highlight the fresh flavor of lemon.
Another selling point to this cake? It can all be made in one bowl! I love a simple dessert that still impresses, and this Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake is just that. It is simple enough for any novice baker to make, but it tastes like someone who is seasoned in the kitchen made it.
I topped this ricotta cake with a lemon glaze frosting and some fresh raspberries. I loved how simple yet flavorful it was. It would also be great with whipped cream and fresh strawberries!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Blueberry Ricotta Cake from Natasha’s Kitchen
Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest from about 1 1/2 lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta (15 ounces)
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9” round cake pan with parchment paper and then spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and beat to combine.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the edges of the bowl after each addition.
- Add the almond extract and ricotta and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, mixing in with the wet ingredients until combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until slightly golden and a toothpick comes out of the middle clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Once cool, prepare the glaze.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk until combined.
- Pour over the cake.
- Serve topped with fresh raspberries and enjoy!