Okay, now that I’m done sharing all of my Thanksgiving recipes with you, it’s time to talk about what to cook the days following Thanksgiving! I’m always a big fan of the turkey sandwich, but that only lasts so long. After about two of those I’m turkey sandwiched out. Enter: Leftover Turkey Vegetable Quinoa Soup!
Plus, we all need something filling and healthy to keep us energized for our Black Friday shopping!
Actually, I’ve never been a use Black Friday shopper. I remember one year we planned to get up super early to go and then I promptly snoozed my alarm. And I’m a morning person.
These days, I would just rather do my Cyber Monday thing, and spend the Friday after Thanksgiving with family or doing something that doesn’t involve massive crowds. Or start my Christmas cookie baking! Now there’s an idea…
I also really crave healthy dishes after the indulgence of Thanksgiving, so I created this veggie and protein packed Leftover Turkey Vegetable Quinoa Soup that will fill us up without being too heavy! Plus, I need something healthy to balance out those cookies I’ll be baking, right?
This Leftover Turkey Vegetable Quinoa Soup is one of those soups that you almost overlook because it looks too simple to be delicious. I was kind of thinking it was going to be a little “blah” when I was putting it together, but oh man. I was SO wrong.
This Leftover Turkey Vegetable Quinoa Soup is so full of flavor. I absolutely love the heartiness from the potatoes and mixed veggies, and the extra bit of staying power from the quinoa. Did you know quinoa has a ton of health benefits? It’s said to regular blood sugar (helpful after that pie), provide antioxidants, and is one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. I just love the stuff!
Looking for other leftover turkey recipes? Check these out:
One Skillet Mexican Chicken and Rice (just swap in turkey!)
One Skillet Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Rice (just swap in turkey1)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red or white onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 Russet potato peeled and diced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables with green beans, corn, carrots, and peas
- 2 1/2 cups chopped leftover turkey
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for topping
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add potato, mixed vegetables, turkey, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and quinoa.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until quinoa is cooked and potatoes are softened.
- Top with parmesan cheese.