Last summer Marc, Lars, and I traveled to Seattle for Marc’s sisters wedding in the North Cascades. If you’re not familiar with the North Cascades, you’re really missing out, which was apparent to me as soon as we arrived. The place is absolutely stunning.
Since their wedding was at a camp up in the mountains, all of the decorations were DIY, including some amazing favors that my mother-in-law made including homemade truffles and fresh lavender in each room. Amazing, right?
Oh and did I mention that it wasn’t just lavender that she ordered on Amazon? Nope. We actually went to a lavender farm a couple of days before the wedding and actually picked the lavender for the wedding.
I have never been to a lavender farm before and as you can imagine, it smelled amazing. I could’ve taken a nap right there in the grass.
In addition to the gorgeous field of lavender, there was also a little gift shop with every lavender scented thing you could think of. Including lavender cookies! Of course we could not pass them up.
We bought a lavender cookie and a lemon lavender cookie. To be honest, I remember liking the cookies but I don’t remember either of them being amazing. I also think the lemon lavender cookie was overpowered by the lemon flavor.
Fast forward 8 months later and I’m in my kitchen, thinking of a Ziploc baggie of lavender that my mom gave me, and feeling the urge to make some lavender lemon cookies. Can I just say I think I nailed it?!
These Lavender Lemon Sugar Cookies are kind of game changer. Like, you think you aren’t going to like lavender in your cookies but you TOTALLY ARE!
They are chewy in the middle (my idea of the perfect cookie), with a perfect combination of lemon and lavender.
So if you’re looking for a cookie that is a little different but not too weird/different, DEFINITELY give these a try. I’ve already made them twice in less than 4 days!
Looking to buy lavender buds for this recipe? They sell it on Amazon!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, lemon zest, and lavender and rub all together between your fingers for about 1 minute.
- Combine sugar/lemon zest/lavender with butter in a large bowl with electric mixer.
- Beat on high for 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice, egg, and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Add baking soda and salt, and beat until combined.
- Add flour and beat until combined.
- Roll dough into approximately 1 tablespoon balls.
- Roll balls in sugar and place on baking sheet, about 2" apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until edges are just set. They will seem a little underdone that is okay - they will set up and be chewy in the middle!
- Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Eat and enjoy!