Instant Pot Short Rib Chili is an easy but out of this world chili with tender short ribs, all made in the pressure cooker!
Say hello to my new favorite chili! This short rib chili is absolutely out of this world. I’ve always loved making short ribs, but typically braise them in the oven for tender, fall-apart meat. Little did I know, the Instant Pot can do the same thing!
How to Make Instant Pot Short Rib Chili
This recipe starts by searing the short ribs in the Instant Pot using the saute function. This browns the outside which will lend to a richer flavor to the end result. It’s definitely worth the extra few minutes of prep work!
After the meat is browned, the onions get sautéed for a couple of minutes, and then the rest of the ingredients get added. This includes tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, beer, crushed tomatoes, and beans.
Then you’ll tuck the short ribs back into the chili, and cook in the Instant Pot for about 40 minutes. It’s amazing how 40 minutes in the Instant Pot results in the most tender short ribs!
After the 40 minutes in the Instant Pot, let the pressure naturally release for a few minutes and then release it the rest of the way. Then remove the short ribs from the chili, shred it all up and return it to the pot.
This is seriously the most flavorful chili I have ever had and the meat is amazing! I’m not sure I’ll be able to go back to regular chili made with ground beef any time soon!
We served this chili topped with avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream, and I think that green onions would also be a great choice. Alongside some hot cornbread or tortilla chips and this is perfect for game day, a cool autumn evening, or a potluck!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Pulled Pork Chili from Gimme Some Grilling
Instant Pot Short Rib ChiliPrint Pin Rate
- 2 tablespoons olives oil
- 2 lbs short ribs
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 ounce lager beer
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 15 ounce can Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can dark Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can light Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- shredded cheese avocado, sour cream, green onions, for topping
- Start the saute function on the Instant Pot.
- Add the olive oil. Once hot, sear the short ribs on each side for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the short ribs from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot with the beer, stirring well.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, and beans to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Return the short ribs to the chili, stirring to combine with the rest of the chili.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent.
- Cook on high for 40 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then release completely.
- Remove the short ribs from the chili and discard the bones. Shred the meat and return to the chili.
- Stir well.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, and green onions.