An easy vegetarian recipe for Instant Pot Lentil Chili is perfect for a chilly evening. It is full of sweet potatoes, lentils, and vegetables, and cooks so fast in the Instant Pot!
Most weeks, some sort of chili is on our menu plan during the fall and winter months. Whether it’s traditional beef chili, white turkey chili, or black bean chili, we love it! We’ve made this Instant Pot Lentil Chili a few times this winter and everyone in my family loves it every single time I make it.
Not only is it delicious but this chili is healthy, full of vegetables. I use onion, red bell pepper, and sweet potatoes along with red lentils and pinto beans. That means this lentil chili is full of nutrition and fiber!
How to Make Instant Pot Lentil Chili
This recipe starts by sauteing onion and red bell pepper in the Instant Pot. I love that the Instant Pot has the brown/saute function built into it!
Next, you’ll add some garlic and all of the spices. I use a combination of chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika along with salt and pepper.
Last, you’ll add diced sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red lentils, pinto beans, corn, and broth, and stir everything together. The chili gets cooked on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes and then it’s ready to eat. So simple!
I’ve served this chili with tortilla chips, cornbread, and Frito’s and they’re all winners. You really can’t go wrong! I do, however, highly suggest the toppings of plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, and green onions. All chili needs a little cheese, in my opinion! And I always love the coolness of sour cream/Greek yogurt and the flavor of green onions.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Slow Cooker Lentil Quinoa Chili from Aggie’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Lentil Chili
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- plain Greek yogurt
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions
- tortilla chips
- Turn the Instant Pot onto the brown/saute function.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and red bell pepper and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook one more minute.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add the sweet potatoes, lentils, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and broth, and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent.
- Cook on HIGH for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, carefully open the pressure valve to let the pressure do a quick release of pressure. I like to place a towel over the vent and tap the valve with the back of a spatula to disperse the steam and prevent any hot steam from burning me.
- Serve topped with plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, green onions, and tortilla chips. Enjoy!