Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is pure comfort food in a bowl! Bonus: it’s SO easy since it is all cooked in the Instant Pot. Instant Pot Lasagna soup is topped with a dollop of whipped basil ricotta, which will melt right into the soup – just like it does in casserole form!
Okay, I promise you this isn’t going to be turning into an Instant Pot blog. But MAN I love my pressure cooker!! I can’t help but think of how I can turn every single recipe into an Instant Pot recipe.
Like most trendy foodie things (think avocado toast, the spiralizer, cauliflower everything) I was a little hesitant to jump on board. I was especially hesitant to blog about Instant Pot recipes because I wasn’t sure if anyone else was buying the Instant Pot. Turns out, y’all love it, too. Or at least you bought one on Black Friday last year and you WANT to love it.
This Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is one of the very first things I ever made in my pressure cooker last winter, and I couldn’t wait to make it again once the weather turned cooler this fall. I remember I loved simple it was, similar to the slow cooker, but it cooked the soup so FAST! I don’t have to wait all day for it to cook?! YES!
In this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup recipe, I use half ground beef and half Italian sausage. I love the flavor from both the Italian sausage and the beef, but if you have a certain preference towards one or the other, just use whichever one you prefer! Since most packages of beef and sausage come in one pound increments, I just cut each package in half and put the remaining in one ziplock baggie for the next time I make the soup. Because you KNOW there will be a next time!
The real kicker in this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is the whipped basil ricotta that you put on top. I mean, lasagna can’t be made without ricotta (or, it can, but it’s not as tasty) so why would I try to make lasagna soup without it? I put a (very large) dollop on top of the soup so you can kind of get a little bit of it in every bite. It’s quite delightful, I tell ya!
This last time that I made this lasagna soup, I made it when we had some friends over and I’d definitely say it was a hit. It was perfect with a side salad and a loaf of garlic bread. Oh and a glass of red wine too 😉
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love these, too!
Instant Pot Lasagna SoupPrint Rate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or beef broth
- 10 sheets lasagna noodles broken into ~1" pieces
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy whipping cream
For the topping:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian shredded cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For additional topping:
- shredded Italian cheese
- Set pressure cooker to "brown"/"sauté" function.
- Add the olive oil and let it heat up.
- Add the sausage, beef, and onion, and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until onions are translucent and meat is browned.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, marinara, diced tomatoes, broth, and lasagna noodles, stirring well to combine.
- Place lid on the pressure cooker and make sure valve is closed.
- Cook on high for 7 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, and then release the valve completely. At this point, most of the pressure should be released so you won't have a big rush of air and moisture.
- Stir in milk/cream.
- While the soup is cooking, you can make the ricotta topping.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, basil, cheese, and salt. I like to use a fork/whisk so it gets light and fluffy.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls.
- Top each bowl with a generous dollop of ricotta and a sprinkle of shredded Italian cheese.