Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole is an easy Thanksgiving side dish, made completely from scratch, that is made almost entirely in your Instant Pot!
Green bean casserole is one of those Thanksgiving dishes that I could take or leave when I was growing up. I didn’t hate green beans or loathe the cream of mushroom soup that was in it. It’s just that I would rather have had my grandma Patsy’s buttery mashed potatoes, or my grandma Esther’s potato dumplings. I guess you can say I just gravitated more towards the potato dishes.
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
Then I started this blog and developed my recipe for From-Scratch Green Bean Casserole, and I was hooked. The creamy sauce! The homemade fried onions! So stinking good!
Since the Instant Pot is such a hot kitchen tool right now, and for a good reason, I really wanted to create a couple of Thanksgiving side dishes that could be made in the Instant Pot. Not only is it great for creating great dishes in minimal time, it will also help us free up some oven space.
How To Get the Crispy Fried Onions
The one problem I ran into with this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole? How do I get those crispy fried onions on top?! Putting them in the pressure cooker while it is cooking would only result in soggy fried onions. Nobody wants soggy fried onions on Thanksgiving! Or any day, really.
However, I really didn’t want you to have to put the green bean casserole in a separate baking dish just to crisp up the onions. So, I came up with (what I think) is a reasonable solution. You put the fried onions on a baking dish and bake them at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. This means minimal oven time, and you can keep the green beans in the Instant Pot.
To serve, you can keep the beans in the Instant Pot and sprinkle on the fried onions, or you can put them in a serving bowl and sprinkle with the fried onions. It depends on whether your family keeps things casual on turkey day or prefers a fancy table scape with all of the dishes in special bowls. Your choice!
Like this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole? You’ll love these, too!
Instant Pot Green Bean CasserolePrint Rate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk I used whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 32 ounces green beans trimmed and cut into ~2" pieces
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- In your pressure cooker, hit the Brown button to heat the bottom of your pan.
- Add the olive oil and shallots, garlic, and mushrooms, and cook until shallots are softened and mushrooms are softened and browned.
- Season with salt.
- Add the butter, and melt.
- Add flour, and stir well to combine, cooking for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk and broth, stirring constantly.
- Let the cream sauce cook for 5-6 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add the green beans and stir well to combine.
- Close and secure lid.
- Cook on high for 8 minutes, letting pressure naturally release once it's finished cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place fried onions on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, until golden.
- Top green bean casserole with warmed fried onions.
- Serve and enjoy!