You guys. It snowed here in Minnesota yesterday. SNOWED. It’s barely the middle of October! Ugh.
Granted, it melted basically two hours later, but I think we might be in for a long winter. Someone on Facebook reminded me that the last big snowstorm in the Twin Cities was exactly 6 months ago, which means that it’s basically winter for half of the year here. Sigh.
This means we’re obviously going need ALL the soup, stew, and casserole recipes. I’ve already been on quite a roll with the comfort food recipes (Broccoli and Cheddar Chicken Rice, Turkey Quinoa Chili, and Lasagna Soup to name a few) and now I have the ULTIMATE cozy, cold weather soup recipe for you – Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup.
What Makes This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Special?
I know there might be a bajillion chicken noodle soup recipes out there, but I really think this one is pretty exceptional. Sure, it starts out basic with onions, carrots, and celery. Then it gets spiced up with garlic, thyme, and a bay leaf. That’s when things get sort of exciting.
Instead of using all chicken breasts in this recipe, I use half chicken breasts and half thighs. The chicken thighs add a yummy layer of richness to the broth. If you’re not a fan of chicken thighs, you can definitely use all chicken breasts, but I’d definitely encourage you to give it a try.
The last secret? The frozen egg noodles. Have you ever had them? SO good!! I like the dried egg noodles and they definitely work in this recipe, but oh man. The frozen egg noodles are next level chicken noodle soup!
Looking for other cozy soup recipes? Check these out!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle SoupPrint Rate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts diced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- approximately 3 cups egg noodles I use the kind found in the freezer
- 3 cups water
- fresh parsley chopped for topping
- Set Instant Pot/pressure cooker to brown/saute setting.
- Add butter and melt.
- Once melted, add onion, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until veggies begin to soften.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, chicken, chicken broth, and water.
- Close the lid and cook on high for 7 minutes.
- Wait until the natural cycle release is done, about 10 minutes. Then release the rest of the pressure.
- Add the egg noodles and set Instant Pot to saute/brown setting.
- Cook another 6-8 minutes, until the noodles are cooked.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.