Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup is a healthy and easy weeknight meal that everyone will love. It cooks in 15 minutes for super tender beef, and is full of protein and vegetables!
Beef Barley Soup was a soup that I grew up eating. It’s such a hearty, filling, and healthy soup that, in the Instant Pot, can be made in a fraction of the time that it took my parents to make.
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup Ingredients
Beef Stew Meat
Cream of Tomato Soup
This beef barley soup recipe has very basic ingredients, and I really think the cream of tomato soup makes it go from good to great. It added a creaminess to the soup that wouldn’t have been there otherwise. I used Annie’s Cream of Tomato Soup, which has very basic ingredients – tomato puree, cream, cane sugar, onions, salt, and pepper. I highly recommend it!
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
In this recipe you start by browning the beef stew meat and slightly sauteing the vegetables. This helps deepen the flavors of the vegetables and gives the beef a nice browned coating.
Next, you’ll add the remaining ingredients except for the peas. The peas don’t need to cook much and otherwise will get mushy – so wait to add those until the end! After the ingredients are added and stirred in, simply close the lid, seal the pressure valve, and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes.
At the end you’ll stir in those peas, serve it up with some crusty bread, and dig in!
This beef barley soup made in the Instant Pot was truly a family pleaser. While Lars isn’t a huge fan of many meats, he ate everything else in the soup and exclaimed “I love this soup!” Winner, winner!
Like this recipe? Check these out too!
Instant Pot Beef Barley SoupPrint Pin Rate
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can cream of tomato soup (I used Annie's organic brand)
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed Note: you can just take the peas out of the freezer when you starting prepping the soup - they should be thawed enough by the time you need them
- Turn Instant Pot to saute/brown function.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef stew meat, onion, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the beef stew meat is browned and the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the garlic, and cook for one more minute.
- Turn off the saute/brown function and add the diced potato, oregano, thyme, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, barley, and broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the valve.
- Cook on HIGH for 15 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then completely release the pressure.
- Stir in the frozen peas and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and let the peas warm up for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread, and enjoy!