One bite of Instant Pot Bacon Turkey Cheeseburger Soup and you will swear you’re eating a cheeseburger!
A few weeks ago I woke up one morning to a Facebook message from my Aunt Penny. She asked me if I had ever made Dill Pickle Soup. I answered no, I have not, but I have heard of pickle juice in a cheeseburger soup and that I was very intrigued by this. Pickle soup? No thanks. But cheeseburger soup I can get on board with.
That night she made a cheeseburger soup recipe that I sent her (this one, by the way), and then I made it a few days later. We were both obsessed.
Of course I got to thinking about how I could make it a little different, and ended up with my own version of cheeseburger soup. The result is this Instant Pot Bacon Turkey Cheeseburger Soup, and I’m super excited with how it turned out!
The first change I made was adding potatoes. The original recipe didn’t have potatoes in it, and I just felt like they would add a great texture to the soup. Plus, it was like the “fries” to the “burger” right?
The other changes were making it in the Instant Pot (something I seem to do a LOT lately), used turkey instead of beef, and I added bacon. Because bacon makes everything better, right?!
The verdict? We loved this version of the cheeseburger soup even more than the original!
The big question, however, is what to serve alongside this soup? Some sort of bread always seems appropriate when serving soup. I think a soft French loaf or pretzel buns are my favorite ways to serve this Instant Pot Bacon Turkey Cheeseburger Soup. One friend mentioned serving it in pretzel bread bowls and I think that is pure genius, too.
Lastly, I’m going to leave you with a pro tip that will make your Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup experience top notch. And that is to serve the soup topped with diced pickles and a swirl of yellow mustard. The swirl of mustard was actually originally just for the photos, but ended up being a super tasty addition!
Looking for more soup recipes like this? Check these out:
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus additional for topping
- diced pickles for topping
- yellow mustard for drizzling
- Set Instant Pot to saute function.
- Add diced bacon and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add butter and melt.
- Add onion and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Add flour and salt, and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add parsley, mustard, pickle juice, and diced tomatoes, stirring well to combine.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, making sure it is sealed.
- Cook on manual, high pressure, for 7 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes and then release it completely.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of hot broth from the Instant Pot with Greek yogurt and milk, whisking to combine.
- Add mixture back to the Instant Pot, stirring to combine.
- Stir in cheese.
- Return Instant Pot to saute function and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with additional shredded cheese, diced pickles, and a drizzle of mustard.