This one is for all of my veggie lovers out there! And even you non-veggie lovers. Or non-veggie enthusiasts. I promise you – you’re gonna love these Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Whipped Basil Goat Cheese Spread! Whew that’s a mouthful!
Do you know how I know you’re gonna love these? My husband LOVED these. When he asked what was for dinner and I said “Vegetable Sandwiches” I could see the life drain from his face.
When we sat down to eat dinner, however, he perked right back up. Just look at these sandwiches – they’re epic! They’re colorful, perfectly charred, and bursting with flavor!
There are a few keys to making these sandwiches taste as good as they look. For one, use GOOD bread. This is no time to use a loaf of sandwich bread. Go to your local bakery or the bakery section in your grocery store and treat yourself to some fresh sourdough or (what we used) ciabatta. I had originally planned to use focaccia, but our grocery store didn’t have any when I went.
The other must-have for these Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches? The Whipped Basil Goat Cheese! It’s so easy and SO addicting! By the end of the sandwiches, Marc and I were both adding more whipped goat cheese onto every bite.
The whipped basil goat cheese is simply goat cheese, fresh basil, olive oil, and lemon zest all whipped together in a food processor. Not only is it amazing on these sandwiches, but it would be great as a dip or toast spread!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Fajita Butter from A Spicy Perspective
Grilled Vegetable Salad from a Farmgirls Dabbles
Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Whipped Basil Goat Cheese SpreadPrint Pin Rate
- 1 red onion cut into quarters
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 2" chunks
- 2 large zucchinis cut in half and then sliced into long pieces
- 1 large summer squash cut in half and then sliced into long pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the whipped basil goat cheese spread:
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Good sandwich bread ciabatta, focaccia, sourdough, etc
- In a large bowl, mix together the onion slices, red bell pepper chunks, zucchini, and summer squash pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and salt, and toss to combine. Set aside while you make the whipped goat cheese.
- To make the whipped goat cheese, add the goat cheese, olive oil, basil, lemon zest, and salt in a small food processor and pulse until it is a creamy consistency.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the veggies into a grill basket and grill on preheated grill for 15-20 minutes, until they are slightly charred and no longer crunchy.
- Drizzle olive oil on the inside of the slices of your bread and grill for 1-2 minutes until they are slightly charred and warmed.
- To assemble, spread the bottom slice of your bread with as much goat cheese as you'd like.
- Top with veggies and top piece of bread.
- Serve and enjoy!