Grilled Curry Chicken with Turmeric Rice is flavored with curry spices, grilled to perfection, and then served with easy Turmeric Rice.
Now that it’s officially grilling weather, I’m making my backyard my kitchen most days of the week. I just love firing up the grill, grilling some meat and veggies, and calling it dinner. So good and SO easy! This Grilled Curry Chicken is 100% one of my new favorite grilling recipes. It is so full of flavor and the whole family loved it – total winner!
Ingredients in Grilled Curry Chicken
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – you can certainly use chicken breasts, but I love grilling chicken thighs. They are tough to mess up, and don’t become as dry if they are overcooked.
Garbanzo Beans – these are added to the rice for a little bit of protein, fiber, and flavor!
Cilantro – the entire dish is sprinkled with fresh cilantro at the end.
How to Make Grilled Curry Chicken with Turmeric Rice
First, marinate the chicken. Simply combine olive oil, lemon juice, curry powder, cumin, paprika, ginger, garlic, and salt and then add it to a tupperware or bowl with the chicken and make sure the chicken is covered in the marinade. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes, up to 8 hours.
Once you’re ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Once hot, grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. I always use a meat thermometer when grilling – it is so helpful!
Before the chicken is cooked, you’ll want to start the rice. You’ll add the coconut milk, water, spices, and rice to a pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed. I like to stir every few minutes to make sure rice isn’t getting stuck/burned to the bottom.
Stir in the garbanzo beans and then serve topped with the grilled curry chicken and fresh cilantro!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Grilled Curry Chicken with Coconut Turmeric Rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- juice from 1 lemon
Coconut Turmeric Rice
- 15 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup basmati white rice
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Add chicken to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, spices, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Add the marinade to the chicken and get the chicken covered. Let marinate for at least 20 minutes, up to 8 hours.
- If making this a freezer meal, place chicken and marinade in freezer bag and freeze. Once ready to cook, remove from freezer and thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook following directions below.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grease the grill.
- Add the chicken thighs and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked to 165 degrees F.
Coconut Turmeric Rice:
- Add coconut milk, water, and spices to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15-18 minutes, or until rice has absorbed all of the liquid. Stir occasionally to prevent bottom from sticking.
- Stir in garbanzo beans.
- Serve chicken over rice, topped with fresh cilantro.