A lightened up, healthy recipe for Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins with mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, and maple syrup.
We’ve been on a muffin kick lately at our house. The problem has been that the boys eat all of them before I get a chance to take photographs! I got smart with these Chocolate Banana Muffins and made them during nap/quiet time, knowing I wouldn’t have a swarm of hands poking at them straight from the oven.
Okay, I guess there was one hand. Who can blame him, though?! These Chocolate Banana Muffins truly are irresistible! And guess what – they’re lightened up! These chocolate muffins are made with very little oil, Greek yogurt, and maple syrup.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
This recipe for banana muffins is pretty basic. First you’ll mash the bananas and add the rest of the wet ingredients, including maple syrup, vanilla extract, an egg, canola oil, and Greek yogurt. Then you’ll whisk together the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir it into the banana mixture. I used all-purpose flour because that’s what I had on hand today, but I’ve used white whole wheat flour with great results, too!
Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips. Bake for 18-20 minutes and you’ll be on your way to pure chocolate banana muffin bliss!
These Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins are great for a quick on-the-go breakfast or snack, and are also decadent enough to be dessert! I loved watching the boys eat these as an afternoon snack, getting that ring of chocolate around their lips from fearlessly digging in!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Banana Coconut Muffins from Cookie + Kate
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp canola or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour white whole wheat flour would work too!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla, eggs, oil, and Greek yogurt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until baked through.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.