Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup is an easy and comforting soup recipe that has Italian sausage, Italian diced tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper, spinach, broth, Italian seasonings, and gnocchi!
Craving something comforting and warm, yet still a little healthy? This Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup is the perfect combination of those things and is super easy to whip up.
Even though it took a little convincing for our boys to try the soup (they’re in a bit of a defiant stage at the dinner table), they both loved it once they tried it. Soren insisted he didn’t like gnocchi and, lo and behold, once he tried it he was a fan. In fact, he picked out the gnocchi in my bowl, too!
Ingredients in Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup
Mild Italian Sausage – you can use hot if you like things on the spicier side
Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Italian Diced Tomatoes, and Spinach – this soup is not lacking vegetables!
Dried Italian Seasoning and Garlic – for flavor.
Potato Gnocchi – I use shelf-stable gnocchi which is easy to find in the pasta section of the grocery store.
Half and Half or Heavy Cream – I’ve used both in this recipe and they both work well!
How to Make Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup
This recipe starts by cooking the Italian sausage until browned. Next, add a little olive oil, along with the onion and red bell pepper, to cook along with the sausage until they are softened.
After the veggies are softened, add the garlic and Italian seasoning, followed by the broth. Once the broth comes to a simmer, add the gnocchi and cook according to package directions.
Finally, add the spinach and cream, and cook until the spinach is wilted.
Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and ENJOY!
There are so many great things going on in this soup, from the fluffy gnocchi to the spicy sausage and basil flavored cream broth. You can also play around with the recipe and use kale instead of spinach, or use whatever kind of sausage you prefer: chicken sausage, Italian sausage, turkey sausage, soy chorizo, whatever floats your boat.
Like this recipe? check these out, too!
Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 14 ounce can Italian diced tomatoes *sometimes it says tomatoes with garlic and basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- 3 cups raw spinach roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook the Italian sausage until browned, breaking it into pieces as it cooks.
- Add the olive oil, onion, and red bell pepper, and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning, and cook another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chicken broth, and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the gnocchi and cook according to the package directions. Usually gnocchi only takes 3-5 minutes to cook, and you can tell they are done when they start floating to the top.
- Add the cream and chopped spinach, and cook another minute or two, until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve soup topped with Parmesan cheese.