I’m interrupting my unintentional “Curry Week” here on g&c for yet another delicious (but non-curry) dinner recipe: Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Chicken Pasta. It’s basically what all my pasta dreams are made of.
Even better? It can be made in less than 30 minutes. I expected it to take longer because um, hello! It totally looks like a fancy meal. But the sauce comes together in a snap with the whirl of a food processor and if you cook the pasta while you are cooking the chicken, the rest is just mixing it all together and dinner is served. Pour yourself a glass of wine and pat yourself on the back because you, my friend, are the weeknight dinner goddess.
Now let’s talk about this super dreamy creamy sun-dried tomato sauce. I used GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese which, if you’ve been paying attention at all around here, you know I am a huge fan of. It tastes just like regular cream cheese but is dairy-free, has more calcium and is lower in calories and fat and saturated fat than regular cream cheese, and has no cholesterol, making this weeknight meal a healthy choice! Another reason to give yourself a pat on the back.
All you do for the sauce is combine the cream cheese, a little milk, and some sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor (or a blender) and puree away. I also saved a little pasta water to thin it out a bit at the end. That’s it. No really, that’s all you do. I told you it was easy!
One note about the sundried tomatoes: I used the kind that is in a jar in olive oil with some Italian herbs, which I’m sure added more flavor. If you use the dried kind, you might want to add a teaspoon or two of olive oil to the sauce, along with a teaspoon or two of Italian seasoning.
So it really comes down to making the sauce (5 minutes), cook the chicken and pasta (15-ish minutes), and throwing it all together (30 seconds!). You’ve got yourself a delicious and comforting dinner in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 medium chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups baby spinach
- For the creamy sauce:
- 4 ounces GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz penne pasta or your favorite shape of pasta
- First, make the sauce:
- Combine cream cheese, milk, sun-dried tomatoes, and salt in food processor and blend until pureed. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, start a pot of water to cook your pasta. You will want you pasta cooking while you are making the sauce.
- Add additional tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and salt, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the skillet.
- Add cream sauce, and stir quickly so it incorporates well in the sauce.
- Let cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Drain pasta and reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Add pasta to skillet with the sauce, and stir well to combine.
- Add spinach, stirring well until wilted.
- Add additional water if you feel the sauce needs thinned out. I added just a couple of tablespoons.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!