Say hello to your new favorite weeknight meal – creamy chicken spaghetti! It comes together in no time with rotisserie chicken and can be made ahead of time, even into a freezer meal!
This week my sister-in-law and I got together for our yearly freezer meal prep day and once again, it was a true success. We made some of our tried-and-true favorites, like my Tortellini Meatball Soup and Turkey Bolognese, and tried some new recipes – like this Creamy Chicken Spaghetti!
While many of our freezer meals have been the kind that you dump all of the ingredients into a freezer bag uncooked and then freeze, this time we did a few casserole-type freezer meals. That’s exactly what this chicken spaghetti is. While there’s a little more preparation upfront, once it comes time to cook dinner, you simply put the pan in the oven and let it do the work!
Ingredients in Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
Green Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
Half and Half
Italian Diced Tomatoes
How to Make Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- To start, you’ll cook the spaghetti to al dente.
2. The veggies are cooked in olive oil until softened, along with the garlic and Italian seasoning.
3. At this point, you’ll start to make the cream sauce. To the vegetables, you’ll add butter and flour, which will thicken up the vegetable mixture. This helps make cream sauce super creamy.
4. Once the flour is slightly cooked, you’ll slowly (seriously – SLOWLY!) add the chicken broth, followed by the half and half, stirring continuously. The mixture will be thick if you add it slowly.
5. To the cream sauce, the Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, and some of the Cheddar cheese are added, followed by the chicken, spinach, and spaghetti noodles.
6. Lastly, you’ll transfer the entire mixture to a baking dish. At this point, you can either bake immediately, place in the refrigerator to bake later in the day or the next day, or place in the freezer for a true freezer meal.
7. Of course, the baking times will differ quite a bit depending on if you freeze/refrigerate it first or not. If baking immediately, you’ll only need to bake it for about 20-25 minutes. If baking from the refrigerator, you’ll need closer to 45 minutes. When baking from the freezer, it will take over an hour to completely bake the casserole.
This dinner is definitely a family favorite! Soren, my feisty two year old who usually needs some encouragement to try dinner, dove right in and asked for seconds! This is surely going to be made over and over in our house.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too:
Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 ounces spaghetti cooked to al dente
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 14 ounce canned Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease 9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet or pot, add the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper, and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning, and cook one more minute.
- Add the butter and cook until it has melted.
- Add the flour and stir well to combine. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, followed by the half and half, stirring continuously to create a creamy sauce.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, Parmesan, and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and spinach, and stir until spinach has wilted.
- Lastly, stir in the al dente spaghetti to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and top with remaining Cheddar cheese.
- At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and freeze, refrigerate until ready to bake, or bake immediately.
- If baking immediately, place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- If baking from refrigerator, bake for 40-45 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- If baking from the freezer, bake 45 minutes covered with foil, and then an additional 20-30 minutes with foil removed, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!