Chorizo Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is an easy and flavorful egg bake that is super satisfying and a total crowd pleaser!
When it comes to breakfast, I’d say Marc and I lean towards the more savory side of things. Sure, we make the occasional overnight oats and will never EVER say no to a donut. However, on a daily basis we both love fried eggs on avocado toast for me and a bagel with cream cheese for him. That said, we also both love a good egg bake, and this Chorizo Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is our new favorite.
I love cooking with chorizo because it adds so much flavor with just one ingredient! Because of all of the flavor from the sausage, you don’t really need other spices or ingredients to compete with it.
Aside from the chorizo, this hash brown egg casserole has bell peppers, onions, diced green chiles, eggs, milk, sour cream, hash browns, and cheese. Pretty simple!
When it comes to the hash browns, I used a package of the refrigerated Simply Potatoes hash browns. I’m sure frozen hash browns would work as well.
How to Make Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole is very easy to make and can definitely be prepped in advance. The recipe starts by cooking the chorizo. As it cooks, you want to break it up into smaller chunks. Once the chorizo is cooked, you’ll add a red bell pepper, and orange bell pepper, and a red onion. You can definitely substitute other colors of bell peppers or add a jalapeno to spice things up a bit. It’s versatile!
Once the veggies are softened, the chorizo and vegetable mixture get placed into a baking dish and topped with a combination of eggs, milk, diced green chiles, and sour cream, and then topped with cheese. See, I told you it was easy!
At this point, you can cover it and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, or just go ahead and bake it right away.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Chorizo Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb chorizo casing removed, if it comes with casings on
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 20 ounces refrigerated hash browns
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- jalapeno, green onion, and cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, if baking right away.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium-high heat, breaking it up into smaller chunks as it cooks.
- Add the red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and red onion to the chorizo and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and green chiles.
- Add the hash browns and chorizo mixture to the bottom of the prepared pan, and stir a little to combine.
- Top with the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese.
- At this point you can either cover and refrigerate overnight, or bake immediately.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and the middle is set. If you refrigerate overnight, I recommend taking it out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking to let it come closer to room temperature.
- Serve topped with cilantro, green onions, and jalapenos! Enjoy!