Chicken Taco Rice Casserole is an easy and delicious weeknight meal that the whole family will love! Best yet, it can be made into a freezer meal for an even easier dinner!
Every year my sister in law and I take an afternoon to prep a whole bunch of freezer meals. I absolutely love freezer meals because they make busy weeknights so much easier. Typically we make the freezer meals that you put all of the ingredients in a freezer bag and then dump it all in a slow cooker. This year, however, I decided to try some freezer casseroles – starting with this Chicken Taco Rice Bake!
Ingredients in Chicken Taco Rice Casserole
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Zatarain’s Spanish Rice
Shredded Mexican Cheese
How to Make Taco Chicken Rice Casserole
This Chicken Taco Rice Casserole comes together very easily.
- Cook the chicken. The chicken is cut into small bite-sized pieces, and then sauteed in olive oil until cooked through.
- Next, you’ll add the taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and salsa, followed by the Zatarain’s rice and shredded cheese.
- The mixture gets transferred to a baking dish, topped with more cheese, and baked until the cheese is gooey and golden.
- As mentioned, this rice casserole can be be made into a freezer meal. To do this, you simply prepare the entire thing up until baking it, and instead popping it in the freezer.
- You can bake the casserole frozen or thawed. Obviously, baking it from frozen will take longer, about 60-70 minutes.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Chicken Taco Rice Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 7.4 ounce package Zatarain's Spanish Rice prepared according to package
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- diced avocado, diced green onions, salsa, sour cream for topping
- Grease 9x9" baking dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and salsa, and stir well to combine.
- Add in cooked Spanish rice and 1 cup of cheese, and stir well to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with avocado. Other topping options: diced green onions, salsa, sour cream.