Serve this Butternut Squash Chana Masala over rice with a dollop of yogurt and a side of garlic naan – pure perfection!
If you read my Sausage and Lentil Soup post, then you know we’ve transitioned Lars to his big boy bed from the crib. This was the biggest thing that I was worried about when it came to getting ready for the new baby. I *really* wanted to get it done before the baby came, and while Lars seemed a little on the young side, coupled with already sleeping really well in the crib (aka not climbing out), it was scary to think about messing that up.
Luckily, things have gone super smooth so far. Aside from a couple of bad nap days, he has done GREAT. Like shockingly so. I guess I was just prepared for a total disaster, so the fact that it wasn’t is a huge relief. I am well aware it’s only been a little over a week, so I’m crossing my fingers things keep going well.
While I don’t have a ton of Indian recipes on here, I actually cook quite a bit of curry. My typical go-to is my Chana Masala or Coconut Chicken Curry, but with butternut squash popping up in my garden I decided to switch it up a little bit!
Butternut Squash Chana Masala
This recipe is pretty similar to my super old Chana Masala recipe (complete with awful photos!) with a few differences. The one main difference I did with this recipe is that I added coconut milk. Does that still qualify it to be chana masala? I have no idea. I’m no Indian food expert, so don’t attack me if that is frowned upon by chana masala lovers.
The next difference is the obvious – that it has butternut squash. I am a freak for squash season, so I’ve been finding a reason to use it in EVERYTHING that I make lately. I love that it bulks up this dish to make a huge pot, which have made for amazing leftovers.
We served our Butternut Squash Chana Masala over rice with a dollop of yogurt and a side of garlic naan (from the Whole Foods bakery – AMAZING!) and it was pure perfection.
Butternut Squash Chana MasalaPrint Rate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 14 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce can coconut milk
- 3-4 cups 1/2 inch diced butternut squash about 1 medium butternut squash
- Rice and naan for serving
- Plain Greek yogurt for topping
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and spices, and cook another minute or two, until spices are fragrant.
- add tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk, and butternut squash, and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Serve with rice and/or naan.
- Top with a dollop of yogurt.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or the image below to pin this Butternut Squash Chana Masala recipe for later!
SOME OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
- Butternut Squash Brussels Sprout Gratin
- Crunchy Honey Butternut Squash Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Butternut Squash, Chicken Sausage, and Kale Quinoa Skillet