Ditch the Pecan Pie and make them into Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles, instead!
Growing up, I was never a huge fan of pecan pie. The kid in me always preferred the extra whipped cream on top of a tiny slice of pumpkin pie. I mean, that’s the best part of pie when you’re a kid, right?!
Then a few years ago my aunt Penny introduced me to chocolate pecan pie. It’s actually on my blog – with a hideous photo because it was EIGHT years ago!! Basically, you put chocolate chips on a pie crust and top it with pecan pie filling and it creates the most delicious pecan pie ever.
Since then, I’ve been okay with the idea of pecan pie – but pretty much only if it has chocolate along with it. I mean, just look at the Double Chocolate Pecan Cheesecake Bars that I posted. If adding chocolate to pecan pie is wrong, I don’t wanna be right!
These Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles are another fun take on the combination of chocolate and pecans. I basically took the delicious things about a pecan pie and made them into truffles. The graham crackers, sugar, and pecans, added some bourbon. Oh and then I rolled those in chocolate. YUM-O.
Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles Are Freezer Friendly
Since I made these pretty far in advance of the holiday season, I put most of them in the freezer. This way I have them on hand to pull out whenever I need a quick dessert for guests or to bring to a Friendsgiving. I also put them on a cheese plate, which was perfect for a little something sweet!
That said, I can attest that these freeze wonderfully! The ones from the freezer are just as delicious and textured as the ones that I ate on the day I made them.
So if you’re still thinking of a dessert for Thanksgiving, or even any holiday party – these Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles are it!
Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles
- 2 1/3 cups chopped pecans plus additional pecans for topping
- 8 graham crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or vanilla
- 20 ounces dark chocolate chips 2 10 ounce bags
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pecans on baking sheet. Toast in oven for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place graham crackers in a large food processor. Pulse until they resemble fine crumbs.
- Add pecans and pulse until fine crumbs.
- add brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, salt, and bourbon. Pulse until it comes together.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix together completely. I like to use my hands to get it completely combined.
- Form into 2-tablespoon sized truffles. I used a cookie dough scoop and then pressed it together in a ball with my hands.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once ready to dip, place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave in 20-second intervals until chocolate is completely melted.
- Dip each truffle in the chocolate, then immediately sprinkle with a teaspoon of chopped pecans.
- Let cool on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: these can be also be frozen.