Blueberry Orange Oat Muffins are lightened up with white whole wheat flour, reduced sugar, coconut oil, and almond milk! They’re great for a quick breakfast on the go or healthy snack.
Like I mentioned on Monday, Soren was baptized last Sunday. Afterwards we had people over for brunch and I made a couple of french toast casseroles and my Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuit Breakfast Casserole. One of the French toast casseroles that I made was pretty traditional with cinnamon and brown sugar. While the other one had orange zest and almond extract in it. I wish I could have taken photos of it for you guys because OMG it was good!!
Blueberry Orange Oat Muffins
Since I had a couple of extra oranges in the refrigerator from the french toast casserole, I decided to use one of them to make these Blueberry Orange Oat Muffins. I feel like you often will see lemon and blueberry paired together, but not as often orange and blueberry. I’m not sure why because the combination is delicious!
I had Lars help me make these Orange Blueberry Oat Muffins. And it’s definitely becoming more and more fun having him in the kitchen with me. He’s getting to be more steady and better at pouring, making it a lot less messy, which I definitely appreciate. He also likes to recite the ingredients back to me, and even an hour later while we were sitting at lunch he said “I like orange zest!” It’s the cutest.
This recipe actually makes a double match of muffins. I used one regular sized muffin pan and then a mini muffin pan, and have included baking times for both sizes. You can also use two regular sized muffins pans or two mini muffin pans. I like the regular sized muffins and Lars likes the mini muffins, so this recipe was a win-win for both of us!
I adapted this recipe to use white whole wheat flour and coconut oil, along with decreasing the amount of sugar and replacing some of the orange juice for almond milk. This recipe is also unique as it has quick oats in the muffin batter, giving them a little bit of a chew which I really liked.
These Blueberry Orange Oat Muffins are bright, cheery, and the perfect way to start your day!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/4 cups milk I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- zest from 1 orange
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract optional
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen work
- old fashioned oats for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. I did one pan of regular sized muffins and one mini muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, milk, orange juice, orange zest, coconut oil, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract, mixing well to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and stir until combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin tin 3/4 of the way full and sprinkle with old fashioned oats.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes for regular sized muffins and 12-14 minutes for mini muffins.
- Serve and enjoy!