Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni…AKA Hamburger Helper COPYCAT!
Did you grow up eating Hamburger Helper on a regular basis? I think most of us children of the 80’s had our share of the incredibly convenient but terrifying ingredient list dinner. Hey, it was a time when farm-to-table was not exactly a movement yet.
While I can’t say I’ve had the HH for years, I still feel a bit of nostalgia every time I pass it in the grocery store. That little oven mitt dude is just so cute!
Dare I say I also have a craving for good ‘ol Hamburger Helper every now and then? I’m pretty sure I’ve had every variety of Hamburger Helper possible, my favorite was definitely the Cheeseburger Macaroni. Occasionally I just crave that creamy, beefy pasta.
I’m guessing you know where this is leading…. I decided to make it from scratch!
While this does take a bit more effort than the boxed version, it is significantly more delicious and is still actually pretty easy. You cook the bacon, beef, and macaroni. Whisk together the sauce ingredients, and mix it all together with the cheese. That’s it!
Speaking of cheese, I made my Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni with GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds, which made this entire dish lactose free. GO VEGGIE Cheddar Shreds are also lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, and higher in calcium than your regular cheddar cheese. Bonus: it melted like a champ in this dish!
All three of us ended up loving this dinner! Marc and I both ate our fair share and Lars had multiple helpings, which I always count as a win. It was delicious, comforting, and super filling.
I served it with a kale salad to round it out, which I’m positive I never ate with Hamburger Helper either. Oh how the times have changed.
- 6 slices bacon chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups GO VEGGIE Cheddar Shreds or any shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until your preferred doneness.
- Remove bacon and grease from skillet and set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, bring a pot of water to boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water once cooked.
- In the same skillet you cooked the bacon, cook the ground beef until cooked through, breaking it apart into pieces as it cooks.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef broth, tomato sauce, dijon, and Worcestershire, and whisk to combine.
- Take 1/4 cup of this liquid mixture and transfer it to a small bowl. Add cornstarch to the small bowl and whisk until smooth. This will ensure the cornstarch does not get chunky in the bigger bowl of liquid.
- Add cornstarch mixture to liquid and stir well to combine.
- Add pasta and liquid to skillet with the beef, and stir well to combine.
- Heat over medium-low heat, stirring often. The mixture will thicken up in about 2-3 minutes.
- Once thickened, add the bacon and cheese and stir to combine.
- Cover the skillet for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!