A fresh, simple, and healthy Asparagus Caprese Salad will be your new favorite summer dish!
I know I’m not the only one who is going crazy with this extra long winter we are having here in the Midwest, but can I just say that the magnitude of how much it sucks is even worse when there are toddlers involved? We’ve just done ALL the indoor activities that I can think of and I want to stop thinking about what we should do next to fill up our time.
Instead, I want to just say “let’s go out and play in the backyard!” and walk outside without putting a coat on. Is that so much to ask in April?!
Okay, I digress and will stop complaining (sort of). But waitjustonesecond. One more thing!
In addition to being just pain stir crazy in the house, this weather is giving me food confusion. Like, I feel like it’s time for me to start craving fresh and healthy dishes full of in-season produce, but my permanent cozy pants just make me want soups and casseroles all day long. What’s a girl to do?!
Basically I’ve been going back and forth. One second I’m whipping up another batch of soup and the next I’m throwing together this Asparagus Caprese Salad and wondering when the heck I can start my herb garden because the scent of fresh basil is just therapeutic y’know?
Asparagus Caprese Salad
One thing that I just really love about spring and summer cooking is how delicious simple ingredients can be. This recipe has five (count ’em) FIVE ingredients and is SO good. All you need is fresh asparagus, fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and olive oil and you’re good to go! I think a splash of balsamic vinegar would be great in this too, but I left it out.
Regardless, this will be, without a doubt a spring and summer staple of mine. Once, y’know, spring decides to ever show up.
- 1 bunch of asparagus about 2 cups chopped
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes halved
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pepper to taste
- *optional: 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
- Once boiling, add asparagus and cook for 1 minute, until bright green.
- Strain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Once cooled, combine asparagus with tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, basil, sea salt, and pepper and stir until combined.
- *Add in balsamic vinegar if desired
- Serve and enjoy!
P.S. Follow my Pinterest account for more delicious recipe ideas.