Asian Chicken Meatball Bowls are rice bowls with Asian-inspired chicken meatballs, herb aioli, edamame, cucumbers, and carrots. These Asian rice bowls are fresh, healthy, and absolutely delicious!
Telling from the number of rice bowl recipes that I have on here, it’s no secret that I’m a big fan of bowl meals. Give me a grain, a protein, some veggies, and (most importantly) SAUCE, and I’m set! I was craving meatballs last week, and these Asian Chicken Meatball Bowls were born.
Another reason I love bowl meals is because they are great for feeding kids. Everyone can pick out the components that they want, and the whole family is happy. That makes for one happy mama!
Ingredients in Asian Chicken Meatball Bowls
How to Make Asian Chicken Meatball Bowls
The first thing to do for this recipe is to make the rice. Brown rice typically takes awhile to cook, so you can get this going first. I have provided instructions for cooking it in the Instant Pot and on the stovetop. I love making it in the Instant Pot because it’s so easy! Simply add all of the rice ingredients to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, make the meatballs. In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, cilantro, green onions, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Then roll the mixture into meatballs about the size of a ping pong ball, and bake.
Now, make the sauce. The sauce ingredient list is somewhat long but many of the same ingredients that are in the meatballs. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat!
Lastly, prep the veggies. You can really use your imagination with what veggies to use, but I used frozen edamame that I microwaved, and then sliced up some cucumbers and carrots to add to the bowls raw. Once everything is done, you can assemble!
These were so delicious for dinner and are also great to prep ahead for a healthy lunch!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
For the Coconut Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Asian Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh minced ginger
For the Herb Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 green onions, diced
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 12 ounces frozen shelled edamame, cooked
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced with mandolin or vegetable peeler
- additional fresh cilantro, basil, and mint, for topping
- Instant Pot: Add the rice ingredients to the Instant Pot. Cook on HIGH for 20 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure.
- Stovetop: Add the rice ingredients to a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 40-45 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, cilantro, green onion, garlic, soy sauce, and ginger.
- Form the meatball mixture into balls, about the size of a ping pong ball.
- Place each meatball on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden and cooked through.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small food processor and blend until pureed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble the bowls by adding desired amount of rice, meatballs, and veggies to each bowl. Top with sauce and garnish with additional green onions and cilantro, if desired.