Confession: this roasted red pepper dipping sauce that goes with these zucchini fritters wasn’t originally made to go with these zucchini fritters. I made it to go with these Brown Sugar Chicken Wings (so good!!) from Damn Delicious that I made for our neighborhoods block party a couple of weeks ago, but then silly/spacey me forgot to serve the dip with a spoon so people took the chicken wings without any of the delicious red pepper dip.
It’s a good thing those chicken wings were mighty tasty on their own (p.s. MAKE THEM!) and also a great thing because it left me with an entire bowl of roasted red pepper sauce to eat. The sauce is so good that I *could* have eaten with a spoon but I know better than that. Enter: zucchini fritters. It IS Zucchini Week here at g&c, after all!
I’ve been wanting to make zucchini fritters all summer long and now that I have a veggie crisper full of summer squash, my dreams have come true. For some reason I felt a little intimidated by the thought of making fritters, but after I did some ‘research’ looking around at different recipes, I knew they would be pretty simple. After finding the right ratio of dry ingredients (flour) to wet (zucchini and egg), they did end up being super easy. You just combine the ingredients, throw ’em in a skillet, and voila! You’ve got yourself some fritters.
They fritters ended up light and crispy and the roasted red pepper was packed with flavor and ended up being a perfect pairing with the fritters. This is such a great way to use up our featured veggie of the week for a quick and healthy dinner!
zucchini fritters with roasted red pepper dipping saucePrint Rate
for the roasted red pepper dipping sauce:
- 2 red bell peppers roasted* (or ~3/4 cup jarred roasted red pepper)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
for the fritters:
- 2 medium zucchinis shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour I used whole wheat
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
To make roasted red pepper dip:
- Place all dip ingredients in food processor or blender and puree.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make fritters:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees (or warm setting). Set out a baking sheet.
- Place shredded zucchini in fine strainer and drain them completely of the excess water with a paper towel or cloth.
- Combine drained zucchini with salt, flour, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and egg.
- Mix to combine.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Drop fritter batter (about 2 tablespoons per fritter) into skillet and flatten with back of a spatula. Depending on the size of your skillet, you will be able to cook 2-3 fritters at a time.
- Cook 3 minutes (or until golden brown), then flip and cook1-2 more minutes.
- Keep cooked fritters in warm oven on baking sheet until all are cooked and ready to eat.
- Once ready to eat, top fritters with roasted red pepper dip and enjoy!
Place in plastic baggie and let cool. Once cool, skin should just peel off. Remove stem and seeds.