I pretty much eat oatmeal and a banana for breakfast every single day, with the occasional green smoothie thrown in there every once in awhile. Which is why when I literally had to gag down my morning oatmeal on our hiking trip I was shocked. Granted, it was like the 7th day in a row we had eaten my ‘homemade instant oatmeal’ but I mean, really?! I’ve eaten the same thing for breakfast weeks at a time and never got sick of it, nonetheless gagged on it.
Luckily we only had one more day left on the trip at that point and we had some extra Clif and Kind bars that I could use in case I couldn’t choke down another bowl of oatmeal the next morning. Ever since the trip, however, I just haven’t been able to sit down in the morning to my typical bowl of oatmeal. I’m hoping this changes soon but for now, I’m sticking with my Blueberry Oat Breakfast Bars and now this beauty of a breakfast: Zucchini Bread Baked Oatmeal.
Never has eating your vegetables for breakfast ever tasted so good. Bonus: there’s no refined sugar in it! Nada. Zilch. None. I mean, don’t you hate those breakfast foods like muffins and scones that make you think for two seconds that they’re ‘healthy’ because “the bakery says they’re for breakfast!” but you know in the back of your head that you’re really just eating a glorified cupcake and cookie. If I’m going to have that much sugar for breakfast, just pass me the donuts. I’m all in or all out. It’s just how I roll.
This baked oatmeal has just a tiny bit of honey in it to sweeten it ever so slightly. As with all of the baked oatmeals I’ve made, I love eating a big scoop in a bowl, with a splash of unsweetened almond milk on top. It is perfect this way just out of the oven, and the leftovers reheat well too…especially with that splash of milk on top.
With the classic zucchini bread spices, this really does taste like you’re eating zucchini bread but with the heartiness of oatmeal. During the week at my ‘real job’ I start work at 7 and don’t eat lunch until 12:30. If I’m lucky I can squeeze a snack in somewhere in the middle but if I don’t, that’s 5 1/2 hours without eating. So a measly bowl of cereal or a banana just ain’t gonna cut it. I need my oats to keep me full and this does the trick.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk I used unsweetened Almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp oil canola or coconut oil would work best
- 1 1/4 cup shredded zucchini about one medium zucchini
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir well to combine.
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla, honey, eggs, and oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until baked through and golden brown on top.
- Let cool, then scoop into bowls.
- You can enjoy as is or pour a little bit of milk or cream on top.
- Keep covered in refrigerator, for up to a week.