Zucchini Bars with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting are the absolute BEST zucchini bars and are one of my favorite solutions to a boat load of zucchini from the garden!While I’ve had a garden for the past few years, this is the first year that I’ve tried growing zucchini. I guess I was always just a little jealous of people who always had their hands full of zucchini come August and I wanted in on the fun! I also wanted in on the challenge to put zucchini in ALL THE THINGS.
So you can imagine I was pretty dang excited when I found my first full sized zucchini that I had grown all myself! Proud garden mama right here. Not only that, but I found three of them all on one day.
I went the savory route for the first zucchini and made my Summer Squash Migas, and an easy zoodle dish, I felt it was time for some zucchini baked goods up in my kitchen. I actually tried a couple of other healthier zucchini recipes first but TBH, they just weren’t anything to write home/on the blog about. They were “meh.” I ate them but I didn’t love them. So I decided to go all granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, and brown butter cream cheese frosting on you. Don’t hate me.
These were a little bit of a problem because I could NOT control myself around the pan. You know the scenario – you have a bar, which is completely satisfying, but you just want a *sliver* more. Oh and then you just need to even side out. Mmm and that bite just did not have the perfect frosting to bar ratio so you need another sliver. Yeah, that scenario.
The zucchini bars are super soft and tender and the brown butter cream cheese is everything my frosting dreams are made of. Together it is totally addictive and delicious.
Recipe note: these bars have two ripe bananas in them which helps make these super (I hate this word but I have to use it!) moist. Just a heads up so you don’t curse me when you come home with your zucchini and go to make these!
Zucchini Bars with Brown Butter Cream Cheese FrostingPrint Rate
For the bars:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe medium bananas mashed
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
For the brown butter frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
To make the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat another minute.
- Add the banana and beat another minute.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and beat until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes, until middle is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely
- Meanwhile, make the brown butter.
- Add butter to a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Melt the butter and let it cook until little brown specks form and you smell a nutty aroma. Remove from heat immediately.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat together brown butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar and beat until well combined.
- Spread over cooled bars.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!