Butternut Squash Bacon Cornbread Stuffing
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 9 x13" baking dish
- 1 9 ” baking dish of cornbread about 6 cups of cornbread cubes
- 4 cups butternut squash 1” cubes about 1 small butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped, plus additional for topping
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into approximately 1 teaspoon cubes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray 9x13” baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Toss butternut squash with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until roasted.
While squash is roasting, cook the bacon over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
Once cooked, remove but keep bacon grease in the pan.
Add the onion and chopped celery to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add sage and cook one more minute.
In a large bowl, combine cornbread cubes, butternut squash, bacon, and onion/celery mixture.
Pour the chicken broth over the mixture and toss gently to combine.
Pour into prepared baking dish and top with dots of butter.
Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
Bake stuffing in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until warmed through and golden on top.
Serve topped with additional fresh sage.