Don’t hate me, but I’m on vacation this week. As you read this I’m probably doing one of four things: 1) laying on the beach. 2) walking on the beach 3) playing tennis with Marc or 4) watching the waves come in on the beach watching the sunset with a glass of wine in my hand. Like I said, don’t hate me.
Consolation: a super yummy salad recipe. I’ve been seriously obsessed with kale for the past couple of month (Marc is starting to think I have a problem) and I am always looking for new ways to eat it. This happens to be my new favorite kale salad. Bonus: it utilizes winter produce!
This salad is light and citrusy from the orange and grapefruit vinaigrette and is rounded out by the creamy goat cheese and crunchy pecans. I also used sliced almonds one time when I made this and loved it just as much.
So while posts may be sparse this week(girl needs some time OFF!) answer me this: what do you want to see on greens & chocolate in the next few months? More salads? More desserts? Healthy desserts? Let me know…I’d love to hear from you!
for the citrus vinaigrette:
- 1 small shallot finely minced
- 1/3 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
for the salad:
- one large bunch of kale leaves torn from stem and roughly chopped
- 1 orange segmented
- 1 grapefruit segmented
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds or pecans toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
To make the vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously, until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute.
To assemble salad:
- Add kale to a large bowl and drizzle 1/4-1/2 cup of dressing over it. I would start with 1/4 cup and increase as needed. You will have leftover dressing.
- Massage the dressing into the kale leaves with your fingers.
- Once thoroughly massaged, top with segmented orange, grapefruit, almonds, and goat cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!