Turkey Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is healthy comfort food that will warm you up but not load you up on carbs!
Turkey Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is a great way to enjoy the flavors of lasagna, without all of the carbs of the noodles and the work of layering it all together! These spaghetti squash boats still have the ingredients of lasagna including tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, all together in a healthy spaghetti squash.
While Marc has politely eaten the spaghetti squash dishes I’ve made for him before (like this one), he’s never been the biggest fan. These stuffed spaghetti squash boats, though? He loved it. Like licked-his-spaghetti-squash-bowl-clean loved it.
This is a recipe that I developed for GO VEGGIE, and I used their Lactose Free Mozzarella Shreds and Parmesan Grated Topping. I love to use their cheese products in my every day cooking, and this recipe was no different. They give me that same cozy feeling as regular cheese but with less calories, less fat, no cholesterol, and no saturated fat. I love it!
To make dairy free stuffed spaghetti squash boats, you could swap that ricotta cheese for cashew ricotta. I’ve used this recipe before, but since I was sick over the weekend and Marc was running to the store for me, I thought directing him to the ricotta cheese would be way easier than having him find the nutritional yeast and unsalted raw cashews.
Cooking Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats
The thing that takes the longest in this recipe is cooking the spaghetti squash. While I prefer doing it in the oven, you could cook it in the microwave using these instructions if you are short on time.
While the squash is cooking you can whip up the lasagna filling, which is a combination of turkey sausage, onion, marinara, and kale. After that, all you have to do is fill your squash bowls up and then throw it in the oven for another 10 minutes to get that cheese all nice and melty!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Noodle-less Butternut Squash Lasagna from Proud Italian Cook
Turkey Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 2 spaghetti squash halved and seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided use
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 28 oz jar marinara
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or cashew ricotta for lactose-free version*
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Mozzarella Shreds or shredded mozzarella cheese
- GO VEGGIE Parmesan cheese for topping (or Parmesan Cheese)
- fresh basil chopped, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush each squash half with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and the pour ~ 1/2 cup of water onto the baking sheet. This will help steam the squash
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, until squash is fork tender. Baking time will depend on the size of your squash. You want the flesh to easily separate into spaghetti strands.
- While the squash is baking, make the filling.
- In large skillet, cook turkey sausage and crumble into small pieces.
- Add olive oil to pan and add onion, cooking until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add marinara and cook until warm, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add kale and stir until it starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. This will vary depending on your marinara sauce.
- Make the ricotta mixture by combining ricotta cheese with Italian seasoning.
- Once spaghetti squash is cooked, it's time to assemble!
- Spread 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture onto the bowl part of each spaghetti squash.
- Then top with marinara sauce mixture, dividing it evenly between the four squash halves.
- Top with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese each.
- Place on baking sheets and bake10-12 minutes in the oven, until cheese is melted.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!