You will love these Triple Layer Peppermint Brownies! Three layers of deliciousness starting with a base layer of brownie with peppermint bark studded throughout, then a creamy peppermint layer, and finally all topped off with pure chocolate and crushed candy canes.
A little better each year
So can we talk about Christmas present wrapping? Am I the only terrible wrapper out there?! Please say I’m not. I’m bad. Like really bad. I can’t get a straight edge for the life of me and every other present I wrap looks like it’s been unwrapped and then rewrapped already. To all of my gift recipients: I promise you are the first person unwrapping your present! Let’s just hope I get a little better each year…
Another thing about present wrapping is that, holy cow, it is time consuming! I was not expecting to spend two whole nights just wrapping presents. You’d think my presents would be exquisitely wrapped considering how much time I spent on them, but I’m afraid that’s not the case. Oh well. It’s what’s on the inside that counts, right?
Triple Layer Peppermint Brownies
During the few seconds that I wasn’t wrapping presents in the past week, I was baking up a storm. These brownies are for sure my favorite treat to come out of my kitchen this holiday season. As a self-professed peppermint lover, I was all over these brownies. There are three layers of peppermint-y, chocolate-y deliciousness starting with a base layer of brownie with peppermint bark studded throughout, then a creamy peppermint layer, and finally all topped off with pure chocolate and crushed candy canes. These are for the true peppermint lovers and will not disappoint!
While these are somewhat time consuming considering you have to make the different layers, they are not difficult at all. I’d say the hardest part of all is sharing them with anyone else.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? YOU’LL LOVE THESE, TOO:
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
- Peppermint Bark Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- Mint Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Peppermint Crunch Cocoa Krispie Treats
- for the brownie layer:
- 8 tbsp 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Andes peppermint baking chips
- for the peppermint layer:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- for chocolate layer:
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 candy canes crushed
- For the brownies: preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 8x8" baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter together, either in a bowl over simmering water or in the microwave. If doing in the microwave, use low heat in intervals of 30 seconds.
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the flour, salt, and extracts stirring until just combined.
- Gently stir in melted chocolate/butter mixture until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips and peppermint chips.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- For the peppermint layer:
- Beat together confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and extract until smooth.
- Spread mixture over cooled brownies.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the chocolate layer:
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water or in the microwave.
- Spread over cooled peppermint layer.
- Sprinkle immediately with crushed candy canes.
- Chill in refrigerator until set, about 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve chilled or at room temperature.
And make sure to follow me on Pinterest for more healthy and delicious ideas!