This post is sponsored by Prego®. All opinions are my own.
Okay, it’s confession time. This is kind of a serious one, but I feel like it needs to be out there.
You ready for this?
Despite having a blog with the word “greens” in its name, I have been really (like REALLY!) bad at eating my vegetables lately. I could blame it on the baby, but it really comes down to falling out of the habit of meal prepping.
Before baby, I was a champion meal planner, making my lunches for the week on Sunday, making sure I had something quick to eat before work every morning, and usually having a game plan for dinner. Since having Lars, I’ve gotten lazy. Breakfast is usually granola and yogurt or oatmeal, lunch is usually eaten with one hand standing in the kitchen (i.e. hummus and crackers), and by the time dinner rolls around I have a big fat zero in my veggie count for the day. And then we order pizza for dinner.
Big fail! Now that I’m headed back to work, I’m determined to become that stellar meal planner I once was and start putting the “greens” back into greens & chocolate!
This Tomato Basil Chicken and Vegetable Quinoa Bake was the perfect meal to get me started in the right direction. Not only is it packed with veggies (zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, and onion) but the sauce base is Traditional Italian Sauce from Prego®which actually provides 40% of your daily recommended value of vegetables. In every serving. Um, yes please!
Another great thing about this casserole is that when you prep the veggies, quinoa, and chicken in advance, it comes together in the blink of an eye, making it a perfect weeknight meal. Without a doubt, this will definitely become a go-to meal for us. It’s healthy, filling, and also makes great leftovers!
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- cooked and diced 1 yellow onion
- chopped 1 red bell pepper
- stem and seeds removed diced 1 zucchini
- diced into bite-sized pieces 1 yellow summer squash
- diced into bite-sized pieces 2 cloves garlic
- minced 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked quinoa approximately 1 cup dry, cooked according to package
- 2 cups Traditional Prego Italian Sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded or sliced log
- fresh basil chopped, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 9×13” baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and summer squash.
- Cook until softened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Combine vegetables with cooked quinoa and cooked chicken, tossing to combine.
- Combine with Prego Italian Sauce and stir well to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbling.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.