One of my favorite wedding gifts is our wok, and sadly I don’t use it nearly enough. I usually save it for Asian or Thai themed dishes, and while Marc and I both love Thai food, we rarely make it at home. However, I had a mad craving for a peanut sauce last week and jumped at the chance to use my wok.
I wanted to jazz up the peanut sauce a bit from my regular version, so I dreamt up a coconut milk and peanut sauce. The coconut milk gives the sauce a creaminess and a hint of sweetness that I seriously loved. I also added a few dashes of Sriracha which added a bit of heat, but not too much for Marc and I’s preference for mild spice. We’re a couple of wuss’s I tell ya.
The great thing about this meal is that it has all the nutritional bases covered: tons of veggies, protein from the chicken, whole grains if you use whole wheat noodles, and good fat from the peanut butter. It’s filling and satisfying without weighing you down, too. For the veggies, I used red peppers, carrots, and snow peas but I think it would also be great with broccoli or cauliflower. You could certainly make this meal vegetarian too, either by just omitting the chicken and adding a few more veggies, or using cubed tofu.
The pasta is finished off with green onions and cilantro which might seem like a hassle to remember right at the end, but the flavor they add is definitely worth it. Both add a freshness to the dish that I would not want left out. If you’re a fan of peanut noodles, this recipe will not disappoint!
for the sauce:
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- dash of hot sauce according to heat preference
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
for the pasta:
- 12 oz whole wheat spaghetti or rice noodles
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 3/4 cup snow peas sliced longitudinally
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- green onions
To make the sauce:
- Add all ingredients to food processor and puree to mix completely. Set aside.
To make the pasta:
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add noodles and cook according to package.
- While pasta water is heating, add 1 tbsp oil to wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add chicken and cook until cooked through, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove chicken from wok, then add remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Add bell pepper and carrots and cook 5 minutes.
- Add snow peas and cook another 2-3 minutes, until they are soft.
- Once vegetables are finished, add chicken and noodles to wok, then add sauce.
- Stir well to evenly distribute sauce.
- Top with cilantro and green onions.