An easy vegetarian dinner recipe with crispy pan-fried tofu that is tossed in taco spices – these Taco Tofu Rice Bowls are perfect for Meatless Monday!
It’s been awhile since I’ve made tofu, and I’m not sure why! I used to cook it quite a bit back in graduate school, even making it for Marc, and I think it was around the time when we had kids that I stopped making it as often. Luckily, the boys both loved these Taco Tofu Rice Bowls, so I think that is going to be changing.
How to Make Taco Tofu Rice Bowls
These rice bowls consist of cooked rice, corn, black beans, salsa, and taco seasoned tofu. While I typically cook tofu in the oven, I cooked it on the stovetop this time and absolutely loved the results. The texture of it was spot on – a little crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
I tossed the tofu in a combination of taco-inspired spices including chili powder, cumin, a little cayenne pepper, lime juice, and garlic. Simple yet so full of flavor!
To assemble, you simply add some cooked rice, warmed up black beans and corn, and the crispy taco tofu to a bowl. We topped ours with some creamy cilantro sauce and salsa, but you could do guacamole too!
Like this tofu rice bowl recipe? Check these out too!
Taco Tofu Rice Bowls
- 14 ounce block firm to extra-firm tofu drained and patted dry
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper more or less depending on spice tolerance!
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups white rice uncooked
- 14 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn cooked
- salsa and guacamole, for topping
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tofu.
- Cut the tofu block into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper, and lime juice.
- Toss tofu chunks in spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the tofu pieces. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, a total of about 15-20 minutes, getting the tofu nice and browned/crispy on each side.
- To assemble the bowls, add rice, black beans, corn, and tofu to each bowl. Top with salsa and guacamole and serve.