Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili is a hearty but healthy way to enjoy vegetarian chili! It is full of fiber and nutrition and is delicious topped with shredded cheese, plain yogurt, and avocado.
Super Bowl hangover?
Are you suffering from a Super Bowl food hangover today? Well, if you ate five too many buffalo wings and more than your share of Lil’ Smokies, all washed down with a couple of cocktails, I have just the recipe for you to reboot your healthy eating: Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili filled with veggies and beans. YAS!
So many healthy things!
This chili is packed with so many healthy things – beans for protein and fiber, quinoa for protein, and tons of veggies for nutrients and more fiber. With all of that protein and fiber, it is bound to keep you full and energized for hours. And, um, regular 😉
Most importantly, it is delicious. It has the typical flavors of chili with the chili powder, cumin, and paprika, but the beef is replaced by sweet potatoes, peppers, and quinoa. While quinoa might not be the first thing you would think of putting in chili, it definitely worked. I loved the texture that it added to the chili, along with bulking it up.
But still comfort food.
Even though this Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili is super healthy, it maintains the “comfort food” status that a traditional beef and bean chili has. It’s not only perfect for getting your healthy eating back on track but is also perfect for warming you up in the winter deep freeze we have going on!
Isn’t chili all about the toppings, though? I loved mine topped with cheese, Greek yogurt, and avocado but I’m thinking green onions would be a great addition too. Oh and maybe some leftover Fritos from all of that queso dip from yesterday. We can’t let them go to waste, can we? 🙂
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups of water
- shredded cheese Greek yogurt/sour cream, avocado, and green onions, for topping
- Add quinoa to small pot over medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and lower heat to low, simmering until all water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked, about 12-15 minutes. Set aside.
- In large soup pot, add olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper, cooking until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, cooking another 5 minutes.
- Add spices, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cooked quinoa.
- Add 1 cup of water and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add additional cup of water if it seems too thick.
- Top with cheese, sour cream/greek yogurt, avocado, and green onions.