Sweet Potato Pie with Bourbon Meringue is THE pie to have at your Thanksgiving table! Everyone will love it and will beg you for this recipe!
It’s November and that means one thing – it’s time for holiday eating!! While this somewhat stresses me out (planning! grocery store crowds! fitting into my pants!) I absolutely love this time of year. The family get-togethers, buying presents for people I love, and of course – THE FOOD. Sweet Potato Pie is a new favorite that I look forward to every year.
I have actually never made sweet potato pie before now. I KNOW. Now that I’ve had this recipe, this pie makes me never want to even think about pumpkin pie again. Okay maybe that’s dramatic because I do love me some pumpkin pie, but I’m kind of thinking sweet potato pie with bourbon meringue is where it’s at.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Pie with Bourbon Meringue
First of all, this pie starts with a gingersnap crust. Ginger. Snap. Crust. Already winning.
Then the sweet potato filling is made by just cooking a couple of sweet potatoes (I microwaved them – so easy!) and mixing the puree with sweetened condensed milk and spices.
Then comes the fun part – the meringue! This was a lot easier than I anticipated and really just involves a lot of work on your electric mixer’s part. You make a hot syrup with sugar and water, beat some egg whites, then add bourbon and vanilla.
Sweet Potato Pie with Bourbon Meringue
The pie is finished by spreading the meringue on top and baking it for that golden brown top. Then you bring it to your Thanksgiving dinner, wow your friends and family, and all your life goals are met.
Now tell me – have you ever made sweet potato pie? I am just late to the game on this one?!
Like this recipe? Check these out too!
- For the crust:
- 3 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- For the pie:
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- juice from half a lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs in a food processor with sugar and butter until well combined.
- Press firmly onto bottom 9" pie dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- To make the pie:
- Pierce sweet potatoes and cook in microwave for 8-10 minutes, until softened throughout.
- Let cool slightly, then cut in half and scoop out flesh and place in food processor.
- Puree until smooth.
- Remove 2 cups of the puree for the pie. You will probably have leftover sweet potato puree, which you can save for another use.
- Combine 2 cups of sweet potato puree with sweetened condensed milk, sugar, lemon juice, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Mix (with a whisk or electric mixer) until well combined.
- Pour over pie crust.
- Bake in oven (350 degrees) until set in the middle and slightly puffed around the edges, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack for about 30 minutes, then place in refrigerator to cool completely, at least 4 hours.
- Once cooled, make the meringue.
- To make the meringue:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- With electric mixer on, slowly drizzle in hot syrup until it is shiny and stiff peaks form.
- Beat in bourbon and vanilla until combined.
- Spread meringue over cooled pie, making swirls for decorative purposes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut into slices, serve, and enjoy!
Pin this recipe for later:
Click the image below to pin this Sweet Potato Pie with Bourbon Meringue recipe to your Pinterest board: