I’m not sure why I only have two other veggie burger recipes on my blog, because I really do love love making them! There are so many different things you can put into a veggie burger and different flavors to play around with. Of course, there are so many fun sauces to put on a veggie burger as well.
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for Sweet Potato Burgers with Chipotle Cream Cheese Spread, that satisfies us every single time.
A Weeknight Recipe!
When developing this recipe, I really wanted to make it one that could be made last minute. Many veggie burger recipes have some sort of grain in them, like rice or quinoa, that needs to be cooked before the patties can even be started. Which means at least an additional 20 minutes of cook time. No bueno!
So these sweet potato burgers are pretty simple on the ingredient front. There’s mashed sweet potatoes, mashed black beans, some spices, oats, and almond flour. You can definitely use all-purpose flour, I just wanted to keep these gluten free for all my gluten-free peeps.
Chipotle Cream Cheese Spread
In addition, the chipotle cream cheese spread is made with GO VEGGIE Plain Cream Cheese, which also makes these dairy free and lactose free! Without sacrificing any flavor or creaminess, using GO VEGGIE Plain Cream Cheese decreases the saturated fat, calories, and cholesterol compared to using dairy cream cheese.
In addition to the GO VEGGIE Cream Cheese, the spread has chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, which you can add 1-2 tablespoons of. I use a range because they are quite spicy so adjust according to your preference! The smokiness from the chipotles is the perfect complement to the spices in the sweet potato burgers including cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika.
These burgers are definitely not lacking flavor! While Marc and I both loved these burgers, the true test is always the kids. The verdict? They both LOVED them! I kept the chipotle sauce off because it was spicy, but they both ate everything that we gave them of the burgers. I call that a win!
For the Sweet Potato Burgers
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes about 3 medium sweet potatoes*
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 white onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup almond flour all-purpose flour will work, too
- Canola oil
For the Chipotle Cream Cheese Spread:
- 8 ounces Plain GO VEGGIE Cream Cheese Spread
- 1-2 tablespoons chipotle en adobo sauce depending on how spicy you like it
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional burger toppings: lettuce avocado, onion, tomato, cheese
- *Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork about 5 times and then microwave for 5-7 minutes until softened. Remove skin and mash the flesh of the sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place black beans in a food processor and pulse until mostly pureed, but not quite. You still want some chunks in it.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed sweet potato, garlic, black beans, onion, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, oats, and almond flour. Mix until combined.
- Form into ~5 large or 6 smaller burger patties.
- In a large skillet, heat ~2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. In batches (my skillet was only large enough for two burgers at a time), cook each patty for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- While the burgers are finishing cooking in the oven, you can make the chipotle cream cheese spread.
- In a small food processor, add GO VEGGIE Plain Cream Cheese, chipotle en adobo sauce, lime juice, and salt. Pulse until pureed.
- Once burgers have finished baking, serve topped with chipotle cream cheese spread.